The award is the second weekly SEC honor for a Wildcat after Cason Wallace earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors on December 27th. It is the third weekly conference honor of Tshiebwe’s career after picking up two a season ago.
Against Bulldogs on Tuesday, Tshiebwe racked up a career-high 37 points while grabbing 24 boards. He then recorded seven points and a game-high 17 boards vs. Texas A&M on Saturday.
Some notes on Tshiebwe’s performance against Georgia:
- The last Wildcat with a 35-point, 20-rebound game was Mike Phillips, who had 35-20 vs. LSU on Feb. 2, 1976
- It was the fifth 35-20 game in UK history, also Phillips (listed above), Dan Issel (36-29 vs. LSU on Feb. 22, 1969), Cotton Nash (34-20 vs. Tulane on Jan. 11, 1964) and Bill Spivey (40-34 vs. Xavier on Feb. 13, 1951)
- Per ESPN, Tshiebwe’s 24 rebounds are the most for a Division I player with a 35-point game in the last 25 seasons
- Per ESPN, Tshiebwe’s 24 rebounds are the most in a 35-point performance in the last 25 seasons. UNC’s Brice Johnson had 23 in 2016, Oklahoma’s Blake Griffin had 23 in 2009 and Texas’ Kevin Durant had 23 in 2007
- Tshiebwe (24) and teammate Jacob Toppin (11) combined for more rebounds (35) than Georgia’s entire team (31)
- He became just the third player in program history to have multiple games of at least 24 rebounds, joining Dan Issel and Cotton Nash as the only others to do so
- It is the fourth 30-point game of his career
- The 37-point game tied Malik Monk vs. Georgia (1/31/17) for most points in an SEC game and the third-most point in any contest in the Calipari era
- Tshiebwe’s 37-point, 24-rebound game against Georgia was the fifth contest of his UK career with at least 22 points and 18 rebounds. He now has five of the eight games of 22 or more points and at least 18 rebounds by an SEC player in the last 10 seasons. No other player has more than one and the feat had not been accomplished since South Carolina’s Sindarius Thornwell did so against Alabama on Feb. 7, 2017
- Tshiebwe also has tallied four 20-point, 15-rebound games so far this season after seven a season ago. He has 11 of the 53 20-point, 15-rebound contests by SEC players in the last 10 seasons
- Tshiebwe has amassed six games of at least 20 rebounds in two seasons with the Cats. All UK players combined have totaled five other 20-rebound games since the 1973-74 season
This week, Tshiebwe and the Wildcats face Vanderbilt in Nashville on Tuesday at 9 pm ET on the SEC Network, followed by a home date with Kansas on Saturday at 8 pm on ESPN.