Last Saturday, the Cats survived a flat performance to defeat Chattanooga 28-23 in Lexington, while the Gamecocks lost 40-13 at Georgia.
UK owns wins over Louisiana-Monroe, Missouri, and Chattanooga. USC owns wins over Eastern Illinois and East Carolina.
Kentucky enters the game as a five-point favorite and the over/under for points is 48.5. However, according to the ESPN Win Predictor, Carolina holds a 56 to 44% edge.
Let’s take a look at the Gamecocks.
(Information Courtesy of the South Carolina Sports Information Department.)
- Location.........................Columbia, S.C.
- Founded ........................1801
- Stadium..........................Williams-Brice Stadium
- Capacity ........................77,559
CAROLINA VS. KENTUCKY: This is the 33rd meeting between the Gamecocks and Wildcats in a series that dates back to 1937. Carolina leads the all-time series 18-13-1, including a 9-5-1 advantage in Columbia. The teams played just three times (1937, 1978, and 1981) before Carolina joined the SEC in 1992. Since then, they have met every year. Since joining the SEC, the Gamecocks own a 17-12 record against UK, including wins in 14 of the 21 meetings in this century.
THE LAST TIME THEY MET: Due to COVID altering the schedule, the Gamecocks and Wildcats did not meet until the final regular-season game of the 2020 season, a Dec. 5 contest in Lexington. Kentucky posted a 41-18 win over Carolina that night, the largest margin of victory for the Cats in 32 meetings with the Gamecocks. Both teams moved the ball effectively on the ground, with South Carolina rushing for 297 yards, behind Kevin Harris’s 210 yards on 21 carries. Kentucky countered with 291 rushing yards as Chris Rodriguez Jr. and A.J. Rose each went over the century mark. Luke Doty, making just his second career start at quarterback, completed 11-of-25 passes for 85 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
THE LAST TIME THEY MET HERE: Tavien Feaster (107) and Rico Dowdle (102) combined for 209 rushing yards, nearly matching Kentucky’s entire offensive output of 212 yards, as the Gamecocks rolled to an easy 24-7 win in Columbia on Sept. 28, 2019. Feaster scored twice and Dowdle once as the Gamecocks rolled up 387 yards in the win. The Carolina defense pitched a shutout until Kentucky finally got on the board with just 2:32 left in the contest. The seven points were the fewest the Wildcats had scored against the Gamecocks since being held to three points in the 2011 contest. The Carolina win snapped a five-game losing streak in the all-time series.
A GAME OF RUNS: South Carolina won 10-straight games over Kentucky from 2000-2009, and 13- of-14 from 2000-2013. Since then, the Wildcats posted five straight wins from 2014-18 and have won six of the last seven overall.
BY THE NUMBERS: USC vs. UK
- Record 2-1 - 3-0
- Points/Game 26.3 - 36.0
- Opp. Points/Game 19.0 - 20.3
- Rushing Attempts 120 - 113
- Yards Rushing/Game 145.3 - 196.0
- Yards Per Rush 3.6 - 5.2
- Opp. Rushing Attempts 91 - 95
- Opp. Yards Rush/Game 108.7 - 97.0
- Opp. Yards/Rush 3.6 - 3.1
- Passes Attempted 80 - 86
- Passes Completed 45 - 55
- Yards Pass/Game 207.7 - 284.0
- Opp. Passes Attempted 82 - 107
- Opp. Passes Completed 49 - 66
- Opp. Yards Pass/Game 179.0 - 177.7
- Total Plays 200 - 199
- Total Offense 1059 - 1440
- Avg. Yards/Game 353.0 - 480.0
- Avg. Yards/Play 5.3 - 7.2
- Opp. Total Plays 173 - 202
- Opp. Total Offense 863 - 824
- Opp. Total Yards/Game 287.7 - 274.7
- Opp. Total Yards/Play 5.0 - 4.1
- 3rd Down Conv. 40% - 56%
- Opp. 3rd Down Conv. 30% 45%
- 4th Down Conv. 3-4 - 0-2
- Opp. 4th Down Conv. 2-2 - 1-2
- Avg. Poss. Time/Game 30:50 - 30:58