The Kentucky Wildcats are fresh off of their first SEC win of the season and are set to take on the Chattanooga Mocs today in what is another tune-up game before they plunge headfirst into their SEC schedule.
With a trip to South Carolina looming followed by a tough slate that includes home games versus Florida and LSU, capped off by a road game at Georgia, today’s game is important for Kentucky to clean up some things, particularly on offense.
While being 2-0 (1-0 in the SEC) is fantastic, I get the feeling that Kentucky fans are left wanting a little more from this team. The overall feeling around the team is extremely positive with the new-look offense, but the turnovers have been an issue since game one of the season.
While the Cats have been able to overcome the miscues, they won’t be so lucky as the toughness of the opponents increases. While today is not a game that should be in question, there are some things that Mark Stoops and his coaching staff will be looking for in regards to his team’s play.
- Turnovers- They have got to do a better job not only limiting their own turnovers, but creating them on the defensive end of the ball. So far the ‘Cats have only one takeaway this season.
- Penalties- These were much improved from week one. Really like the trajectory here.
- Pressuring the QB- Missouri utilized a quick passing attack that limited the ability of the pass rush. But outside of JJ Weaver, I’m not sure that there’s a player that really demands attention in terms of getting to the quarterback.
- Someone other than C-Rod- Christopher Rodriguez is an absolute beast, there’s no doubt, but it’s hard for a running back to stay healthy in the SEC with the amount of carries that Christopher Rodriguez gets. I’d like to see some other running backs get involved to help carry that load.
- More in the passing attack- I think the passing game is absolutely fine. There were some fans that were concerned with the lack of passing against Missouri, but honestly Liam Coen knew he could get whatever he wanted on the ground and he took advantage of it. He did exactly what he should have done last week. I would like to see some more passing today and would like to see some more guys involved with that.
- Beau Allen- It’s another opportunity to see what he has.
- Injuries- Knock on wood, the Cats have been pretty clean here. That needs to continue, especially today.
Tweets of the Day
Week 3 SEC primer | SDS- It’s a big weekend for football in the SEC and it’s headlined by Alabama at Florida.
Dereck Lively to decide on Monday | Cats Pause- Will the number two player in the country join the number one player in the country at Kentucky? Some are leaning Duke with this one but Kentucky has a lot of recruiting momentum right now.
Previewing Chattanooga by the numbers | Cats Illustrated- Jeff Drummond gives you a statistical breakdown of the showdown.
Kentucky looks to keep momentum | UK Athletics- A big time score and victory would be nice heading into the SEC.
Week 3 bold predictions | SDS- So far these have been right on the money for Kentucky football. As I stated above, establishing another running back today would be big for the Cats.
How to watch UK vs. Chattanooga | WDRB- It’s internet only so hopefully you have a good wifi connection.
Could Wan’Dale Robinson be a legend in the making? | Vaught’s Views- I don’t know if I’d call him a “legend in the making” just yet but he’s a damn good football player and Kentucky is lucky to have him.
College football picks and schedule | CBS- After a not-so-great slate last week, college football has some big time games coming your way after the Kentucky game.
Pick six propels Louisville vs. UCF | USA Today- You all know how I feel about everything Louisville but that was one awesome college football game last night.
Who is on upset alert today? | Sporting News- I think Penn State is one of the most overrated teams in the country and I expect Auburn to go in there and get a win.