Tony Barbee won’t have to wait much longer for his return to Rupp Arena, as the Central Michigan Chippewas will be coming to Lexington this season.
Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports had this report this evening, as the Chippewas will be on the schedule for November 29th.
Source: Kentucky will host Central Michigan on November 29th. Tony Barbee returns to Rupp Arena.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) July 30, 2021
Barbee is no stranger to the Big Blue Nation after spending seven seasons on John Calipari’s staff as an assistant from 2014-2021.
This will be Barbee’s third head coaching gig after previous stints with Auburn and UTEP. He will be trying to make some early improvements this coming season, after the Chippewas posted a 7-16 overall record and went 3-13 in the MAC.
For Kentucky, the non-conference schedule continues to take shape, that features a star-studded lineup. After this addition here is how the non-conference schedule is taking shape for the 2021-22 season.
- Duke Blue Devils: Nov. 9th I Champions Classic I Madison Square Garden (New York)
- Central Michigan Chippewas: Nov. 29th I Rupp Arena (Lexington, KY)
- Michigan Wolverines: Dec. 4th I Crisler Center (Ann Arbor, MI)
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Dec 11th I TBA
- Ohio State Buckeyes: Dec 18th I CBS Sports Classic I T-Mobile Arena (Las Vegas)
- Kansas Jayhawks: Jan. 29th I Big 12/ SEC Challenge I Allen Fieldhouse (Lawerence, KS)
The schedule will also feature the regular matchup with Louisville as well. With fall quickly approaching games and dates will continue to be released, as the Cats look to respond for a solid bounce back season.