clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Skyy Clark discusses decision to sit out high school season due to COVID-19

New, 4 comments

The Clark family has been hit hard by the virus.

High School Basketball: JUN 02 Pangos All-American Camp Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Kentucky Wildcats’ commit Skyy Clark recently decided that he was going to opt out of the rest of his high school season due to Coronavirus concerns.

Last Christmas, the Brentwood Academy star and the rest of his family had to celebrate the holiday without their father, Kenny, who was quarantined at the time after he tested positive for COVID-19.

Ever since then, Clark debated shutting down the season for precautionary reasons. And after multiple family members tested positive for the virus, he decided it was the best thing to do.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, he talked about that decision and how the virus has “circulated throughout” the Clark home.

“I got COVID first back in February of 2020,” Clark said. “Six of the eight of my family members ended up getting it over the last year. It was pretty rough. It’s like the flu, but on steroids.”

Clark noted that during games his competitive nature didn’t allow him to focus on anything but dominating his opponents. However, after the games he feared that him playing was putting his family in danger.

“The gyms are packed and out here it’s kinda like living normal life,” Clark said. “There are not a lot of restrictions. It was really tough, and we went back and forth with it, trust me. I just want to do my part in the pandemic. The sooner we can get out of this, the sooner it’s better and back to normal living.”

Here’s to hoping Clark and his family are doing well now.

Follow our Twitter page and then go ‘like’ our Facebook page for the latest Kentucky Wildcats news and views.