In only 8 days the Kentucky Wildcats will play football again! It’s been sooooo long since their last game. The last time Kentucky played football, we were watching The Rise of Skywalker in actual movie theaters only so we could immediately complain about it. We were going on cruises, playing at arcades, packing Rupp Arena, and trying to find a way to use that practically useless $25 Itunes gift card from grandma that didn’t involve stuffing it in a drawer for five years. Yes, the Belk Bowl, back in the olden days of yore—that era so long ago: 2019.
But (miraculously) we’re here at the beginning of the 2020 Kentucky football season! The ‘Cats are coming off of 4 straight wins, a Belk Bowl trophy, a game-winning touchdown, and the greatest recruiting cycle they’ve ever known. Are you hyped? I sure am. Let’s dive into this matchup and see what’s up for grabs.
If Kentucky Wins:
- They’ll be 45-44 under Mark Stoops.
- It’ll be their 5th straight win.
- Their all-time record will be 624-626-44, only two games shy of 50-50.
- They’ll improve to 7-26-1 against the Tigers, and snap a 1-game losing “streak.”
- They’ll have won 2 of the past 4 contests against Auburn.
- They’ll be 19-8 since the start of the historic 2018 season.
- They’ll be 13-3 under QB Terry Wilson.
- They’ll be ranked higher in the AP Poll.
- They’ll have started 1-0 in SEC Play for the third time in four years.
If Kentucky Loses:
- They’ll probably fall out of the AP Poll.
- Their SEC Championship hopes will be likely gone without a win over Georgia.
- They’ll be under more pressure to win the home opener against Ole Miss in Week 2 to avoid an 0-2 start.
All things considered, Kentucky’s got a lot more to gain than lose here. I think they’re ready for this game and will bring their best to The Plains. With an all-SEC slate, any and every week holds an opportunity for a big win this season. Go ‘Cats!