Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Today, we have Big Ten players leaving school early to prepare for the draft, the NCAA trying to make up its mind when college basketball will start, Benny Snell showing late Kentucky form in the NFL, and college football finally starting in earnest.
I don’t blame players in the Big Ten for getting sick of the indecision of their conference leadership. With the current state of the pandemic, it is difficult to criticize any conference for opting out of football, but if you’re going to do that, live with the decision. It’s tough for everyone right now, but waffling is not leadership.
Speaking of opting out, there comes word now that the ACC may postpone (“postpone?”) the rest of the season if fewer than eight teams are ready to play. Again, I can see why this would be a problem. Tough old world, I guess.
As to Benny Snell, well, all I got to say about that is “Snell yeah!” I am not a bit surprised, I’ve seen very few running backs with the vision and instinct Snell has with the ball in his hands.
Finally, I don’t care when they start college basketball, but I hope they are able just to set a date and stick to it. I get it — the situation is tough, and you have to be flexible depending on the facts “on the ground” at the time the schedule is to begin. But if we could just get a tiny bit of certainty around here, it would be welcome.
Tweets of the Morning
We met the dogs of the #BigBlueWall to conclude Night 1 of the #FanWeek presented by Clay Ingels — Kentucky Football (@UKFootball) September 15, 2020
Oh, and we got a @Max__Duffy cameo too @Darian_70 @Landon_Young_67 @UpshawKeaton @justinrigg83 @LukeNV77 @tomleachKY pic.twitter.com/Mg1cMNwcD2
Somebody said Benny Snell (and Bud DuPree) had a good night...
Do these @espn announcers watch college football??? Benny Snell was a STUD at Kentucky too. This isn’t new— Barstool SEC (@SECBarstool) September 15, 2020
Apparently, they don’t watch Kentucky college football, anyway.
- Josh Moore at the LHL says UK will throw more to its tight ends this season. I’ll believe it when I see it...
- Will UK have to come to agreement with Auburn to get Joey Gatewood eligible this season?
- Kentucky-Auburn may be the biggest game in all of college football up to the date it happens.
- The Philadelphia Tribune reports on Bruiser Flint joining Coach Cal at Kentucky.
- John Hale looks at four recent UK offers for 2021 and where they stand.
- Could Kentucky Basketball call anything but Rupp Arena home? I don’t think so, but I’m so old I can remember Adolph Rupp.
Other Kentucky sports
- Virtual reunion and ring ceremony to be held for 1982 women’s UK basketball.
- SEC establishes new start dates and formats for swimming and diving season.
- Ohio State stars, fed up with the Big Ten’s waffling, have decided to opt out of the season and start preparing for the NFL Draft.
- For the love of God, Big Ten...
Other sports news
- Former UK player Nate Sestina will continue his basketball career in Russia.
- Well, everyone knows about Benny Snell’s big night, but here’s more.