Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Former Wildcat and current Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker continues to add records to the franchise, adding his 87th career game of 30+ points on Sunday, now second only to Walter Davis, who has only three more. John Calipari had some high praise for Booker:
Head coach John Calipari recently called Booker the best shooter he’s coached at UK.
“I know there are some guys that would be mad but I would tell you when Devin Booker got it going, it would be hard to say anybody was better,” Calipari said. “Tyler Herro was edging up on him but this guy was unconscious. Every time he shot it, everybody in the building thought it was going in.”
With due respect to Coach Cal, I would disagree. Doron Lamb wash 8th in the nation in 3-point percentage in 2011 with 49%, and 22nd in 2012 with 47%. In his only season at UK, Booker shot 41% from three, good for 167th overall.
There’s no real doubt that Booker is a much better NBA player than Lamb, but as a college shooting guard, even in limited minutes, he wasn’t as good a shooter from the arc, and Lamb proved it with not just one, but two seasons of excellence.
Just one man’s opinion.
Tweet of the Morning
That Booker guy got game!
- How much has Mark Stoops improved UK football? All-SEC schedule will be the ultimate test.
- Re-ranking the Kentucky football recruiting class of 2013. Za’Darius Smith alone makes it look a lot better know.
- Kentucky sits atop the SI 2020-21 SEC rankings, but with reservations.
- Arkansas thinks they have a chance against UK because Isaiah Joe is back. That’s cute.
Other Kentucky sports
- Senior outfielder Jaren Shelby will return for the 2021 season for the Bat Cats, joining senior first baseman TJ Collett.
- UK makes College Football News’ top 25. Now, if there is only a season…
- Baylor gets good news when Jared Butler withdraws from the NBA draft to return to the Bears this season.
- Vanderbilt gets a big commit from elite shooting guard Gabe Dorsey.
Other sports news
- Apparently, ice sheets, not rivers, cut the valleys of Mars.
- Nothing is immune: Apparently, dinosaurs suffered from cancer just like many modern organisms.
- How many habitable planets can one star have? Apparently about six.