Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies. Just in case the young among us are wondering about the genesis of the headline, this should help explain:
Now, on to weightier matters.
The craziness of the COVID-19 pandemic never seems to let up, and in no way is college sports exempt. Several conferences have canceled fall sports, and all the talk lately has been about the Power 5 conferences on the brink of canceling football at least. But that seems to be changing.
Going into Monday, the word on the street was that the first domino of the Power 5, the Big Ten, was about to fall and likely take with it almost all of college football for this year. It seemed an inevitable conclusion to four months of hand-wringing and indecision.
But something happened on the way to another coronavirus pandemic casualty — the players and coaches began to make themselves heard. The Big Ten is taking the hit on this right now from the media, the fans, and even President Trump, but my read is that several others were set to follow their example, possibly including the SEC.
The SEC is said to be preparing their decision, and the Big Ten is obviously having second thoughts. the ACC has been the one stalwart among the Power 5, consistently saying that they will indeed have a football season apparently no matter what other conferences decide.
Take it away, Samuel L.:
Tweet of the Morning
UK is now enforcing its Honor Code against any students that go to off-campus parties— Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) August 11, 2020
There is zero chance that policy ends up as anything but a disaster
Absolutely right. FIRE’s lawyers are eagerly honing their legal knives to a razor’s edge at the news, I have no doubt.
But the horse feels like it is back in front of the cart."— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) August 11, 2020
Can you believe I actually put a tweet by Pete Thamel in the Quickies without derision? I believe that today, hell must be a hockey rink…
- Will Kentucky move on 4-star power forward Bryce Hopkins, who recently decommitted from Louisville? 247Sports thinks so.
- Knicks “optimistic” they can lure Kenny Payne to the NBA. Tell ‘em to pound sand, Kenny. Nicely.
- Mountain West will not play football this fall due to COVID-19.
- The ACC has been steadfast in it’s intentions to play football this fall.
- College football players more unified than college administrators on football season.
- Will the NCAA tournament in 2021 be expanded?
- When it all falls down — a lament for MAC sports that are not to be.
Other sports news
- Devin Booker openly flirts with Kendall Jenner. When you’re as hot as Booker, it’s no wonder you think you can do anything.
- Dwarf Planet Ceres is an “ocean world” with seawater beneath the surface. And I thought Ceres crashed into Venus… oh, wait… I guess that’s what I get for binge-watching The Expanse.
- Answering the important questions: How will the universe end? With an earth-shattering “Kaboom,” I’ve heard…
- Blue-light special on isle 6: Two-for-one energy from photons!