Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Kentucky’s Quinton Bohanna really, really wants to play football this year. I think everyone does, and I know it would be a really nice change from frelling Farscape binge-watching on Prime Video and occasional PGA interest. Television in the Year of the Virus is not exactly must-see.
Of course, the powers-that-be in college football are still struggling to make any kind of decision, and in one of the more clever turns of phrase by Pat Forde, have “…kicked the can so far down the road it has crossed state lines.” He’s got that part right. But now, the time for pondering is being compressed out of existence. The singularity is coming up.
Tweet of the Morning
Evan White gets his first big league home run!!! First of many E! pic.twitter.com/zg6FZJBSri— Regina Rickert (@acrphoto) July 28, 2020
- Kentucky’s 2020 defense ranked among the best (#3) in the SEC pre-season.
- Terry Wilson is hoping for a better outcome against Eastern Michigan this year. If you recall, last year he had his season ended vs. the Eagles.
- Tom Payne, UK’s first African-American basketball player, reaches out to Coach Cal about speaking to the team. I hope it happens.
- Five former Wildcats invited to the NBA Combine.
Other Kentucky sports
- Cardiac Hill, SBNation’s Pittsburgh Panthers community, would like to see us reprise last year’s game against Virginia Tech in a bowl game sponsored by Wild Turkey Bourbon. Cheers to that!
There are some pretty humorous, but predictable suggestions for other teams as well.
- After talk of collaboration, conferences decide to go their own way. Given the circumstances, it’s hard to blame anyone for taking that position.
- Five players who definitely need a college football season this year.
- The SEC’s behind-the-scenes power players.
Other sports news
- Former Bat Cat Evan White hit his first MLB home run last night for Seattle.
- After a stint in Germany, former Wildcat Derek Willis signs with Italian team in hopes of getting back to the NBA.
- Lynn Bowden officially signs with the Las Vegas Raiders. I suspect we’ll be hearing his name mentioned pretty often when the season starts.
- Near Chernobyl, scientists have discovered a fungi that multiplies in an extreme radiation environment. It may be useful in protecting astronauts.
- Could we achieve interstellar travel using only known physics? Probably, if we can figure a way to accelerate fast and long enough to relativistic speeds. Of course, Earth wouldn’t find out about the results of such a trip for a long time…
- Giglio Island, Italy has been exposed to COVID-19, yet only 3 of the 800 residents developed the disease.