Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
As you are all no doubt aware, the big conversation now in college sports due to the sudden increased case rate in COVID-19 cases are whether or not there will be a college football season at all. For most of the summer to date, it seemed like it was a fair bet, if not a sure thing, that football would actually happen this year. But now, circumstances have conspired to place all that into not just doubt, but outright pessimism.
SEC and Alabama maven Paul Finebaum has been doubtful about the season since it was announced that it will go forward. Several leagues, including the Big Ten and Pac-12 have announced conference-only football schedules, and he says the other conferences who have not done so are ”...hoping for a miracle right now...”.
At this point, aren’t we all? And the thing that really gets me is that this is a year when Kentucky could really be a threat to do something special, at least by the Kentucky definition of “special.” Which makes it all the more difficult to imagine, and stomach, that the 2020 football and even basketball season may never happen.
Tweet of the Morning
Blue Grass winner stakes his claim, but Tiz the Law still king of Kentucky Derby road https://t.co/ErcdVgex13— John Clay (@johnclayiv) July 12, 2020
I had almost forgotten horse racing existed...
- Kentucky football team tests negative for coronavirus.
- Terry Wilson prepares the BBN for the return of Kentucky football. I hope it happens...
- “Boogie” Watson named to the Chuck Bednarik Award watch list.
- An update on Joey Gatewood’s bid to play this season.
- Coach Cal launches initiative to increase minority participation in NCAA sports.
- Kentucky’s “steady presence” with 2021 star Jaden Hardy may be paying off big, as recruiting analysts think UK leads in his recruitment.
- Recruiting expert shares prediction for 2021 UK recruiting class.
Other Kentucky sports
- UK athletics return continues. Three coronavirus positives have been found among 42 basketball, volleyball, and women’s soccer teams.
- Former TV talking head Kara Lawson excited to coach Duke women’s basketball.
- Hope dwindling that NCAA basketball season will start on time.
- Puzzling “Planet Nine” may be a grapefruit-sized singularity. I always get this confused with “Plan Nine from Outer Space.” Oh wait, is anybody even old enough to recognize that refrence?
- The moon is 85 million years younger than previously thought. That’s why the moon is a harsh mistress — we’ve been aging her unfairly, and ladies hate that.
- Russian scientists have discovered a new physical paradox — amplitude of mechanical vibrations can grow without external interference.