Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Today, I want to highlight an article over at the Lexington Herald-Leader about an new book by Jim Host, founder of Host Communications, that sounds like a real doozy for fans of “inside baseball” stories about UK Athletics. Just a few teasers include:
- Rick Pitino’s cut-throat negotiations with a desperate UK;
- The story of how Bill Curry came from Alabama to Kentucky; and
- Kentucky’s 1990’s flirtation with joining the ACC.
Looks like a fascinating read for any Kentucky fan. The book is entitled “Changing The Game: My Career In Collegiate Sports Marketing” and it’s out now. You can get a copy at http://www.jimhostbook.com.
Tweet of the Morning
Kevin Grevey stated that Wes Unseld call the Kentucky Wildcats the little kitty cats and would refer to him as Rookie! Thank you Kevin for coming on Eaves Sports Radio!— Jerry Eaves (@JerryEaves5) June 3, 2020
RIP, Wes Unseld. What a great player he was. I am glad I was around to see him when he was a college player.
- Expectations are high for Kentucky and Louisville in the upcoming football season.
- AJ Rose would like to be a police officer, maybe even an undercover officer, after a career in the NFL.
- Roundtable: Thoughts on the new UK-Notre Dame series. It will be good to have the Irish back on our regular-season schedule. I remember some epic games between Kentucky and Notre Dame back in the 1970’s when the Irish were an annual opponent. Nowadays, they pop up only every few years.
- Is 2020 #1 player Cade Cunningham suddenly a realistic option for Kentucky? Cunningham committed to Oklahoma State, but the NCAA just banned the Cowboys from post-season play next season, and Cunningham is said to be considering options.
- Roundtable: Will Oliver Sarr be the best 2020 transfer? I think he’s in the top two or three, that’s a pretty safe bet. The question is, will he be eligible this season?
Other Kentucky sports
- A couple of big recruiting coups have left the “Jim Boeheim must retire” crowd suddenly tongue-tied.
- Kansas wants NCAA to separate football, basketball infraction cases. That’s one hot mess over in Lawrence.
Other sports news
- Unusual radio bursts with a repeating pattern have been discovered. I have no idea what this means, but I’m pretty sure it’s awiens.
- A star 3,000 light-years from Earth has a “mirror image” of the Earth and Sun.
- Scientists use physics to better understand how consciousness works.