The Kentucky Wildcats have officially added three more dates and opponents to its 2020-21 men’s basketball schedule.
The three newest opponents include Detroit Mercy, Hartford and Richmond. All three are a part of the Bluegrass Showcase, and all three games will take place in Rupp Arena.
The matchup with Detroit Mercy – which will serve as UK’s home opener – will feature the return of Brad Calipari to Rupp Arena. The son of UK head coach John Calipari transferred to Detroit Mercy after the 2018-19 season as a graduate transfer with two years of eligibility remaining. This past season, he hit 46 triples on 38% shooting from deep and averaged 6.1 points per game. Detroit Mercy is coming off an 8-23 season in the Horizon League.
After facing the Titans, the Cats will host Hartford, who went 16-15 last season in the American East. UK has played Hartford just once in the past, a 104-61 victory in Rupp Arena in the first season of the Calipari era in 2009-10.
The final game of the Bluegrass Showcase comes Nov. 23 against Richmond, who is quietly one of the tougher non-conference games for UK next season. The Spiders 24-7 in the Atlantic-10 last season, including a 14-4 mark in conference play.
Richmond also returns most of its roster, assuming Jacob Gilyard (12.7 ppg and 5.7 apg), Blake Francis (17.7 ppg) and Grant Golden (13.4 ppg, 6.9 rpg and 3.4 apg) withdraw from the NBA Draft (none of them are projected to be drafted).
Here is a look at the 2020-21 Kentucky Basketball thus far:
- Kansas Jayhawks – Nov. 10 | United Center (Chicago) | Champions Classic
- Detroit Mercy Titans – Nov. 13 | Rupp Arena | Bluegrass Showcase
- Hartford – Nov. 17 | Rupp Arena | Bluegrass Showcase
- Georgia State Panthers – Nov. 20 | Rupp Arena
- Richmond Spiders – Nov. 23 | Rupp Arena | Bluegrass Showcase
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Nov. 27 | State Farm Arena (Atlanta) | Holiday Hoopsgiving
- Cleveland State – Nov. 30 | Rupp Arena
- Michigan Wolverines – Dec. 6 | The O2 Arena (London) | Basketball Hall of Fame London Showcase
- UCLA Bruins – Dec. 19 | TBA | CBS Sports Classic