Immanuel Quickley scored 15 of his 18 points in the second half, while Nick Richards and Tyrese Maxey each finished with 15 to push UK past the Vols.
Johnny Juzang caught fire off the bench with a career-high 13 points on 4/4 shooting from the field, while Keion Brooks grabbed a career-high nine boards to go with four points.
Following the win, UK released its updated season statistics for the 18-5 Wildcats:
And here are the postgame notes from the big win in Knoxville:
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 18-5 overall and pulled into a tie for the Southeastern Conference lead at 8-2.
- UK is 4-2 in true road games, 3-2 on the SEC road.
- Tennessee is 13-10 overall, 5-5 in the league.
- UK leads the series 156-73, ending a two-game winning streak by Tennessee.
- UK leads 56-52 in Knoxville, Tennessee, ending a string of four straight losses in Thompson-Boling Arena.
- It was the Wildcats’ first win in Thompson-Boling Arena since 2015.
- For those into good omens, Kentucky has never won a national title without winning in Knoxville in the same season.
- In every season the Wildcats have won at Tennessee in the John Calipari era coming into this season, they’ve advanced to the Final Four.
- UK did not play in Knoxville for the 2014 Final Four run.
- Next up: Kentucky completes its two-game Tennessee road swing Tuesday at Vanderbilt. Game time is 7 p.m. ET (6 p.m. CT in Nashville). It will be televised on ESPN.
- Immanuel Quickley led the Wildcats with 18 points, a bunch coming late to hold off Tennessee’s comeback attempt.
- It is his 12th straight game in double figures. The last Wildcat to do so was PJ Washington, who had 12 straight double-figure games from Jan. 15 to Feb. 23, 2019.
- He’s averaging 17.8 points over the last 12 games.
- He’s led the Wildcats in scoring six times this season.
- Nick Richards made all five field-goal attempts and 5 of 6 free throws, finishing with 15 points and seven rebounds.
- He is averaging 17.1 points and 9.5 rebounds over the previous 12 games.
- Tyrese Maxey notched 15 points, five rebounds and four assists. UK is 7-0 this season when he has at least four assists.
- He recorded 11 points in the first half.
- Johnny Juzang had eight points in the first half – already a career high – and finished with a career-best 13.
- He made every shot he attempted, (4 of 4), including all three 3-pointers and both foul shots.
- Ashton Hagans notched 10 points, his 16th double-figure game of the season, adding four rebounds and three assists.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 323-76 at UK.
- He has a 768-216 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 261-43 against Associated Press unranked foes under Calipari.
- Kentucky is 144-40 under Calipari in SEC regular-season games.
- Calipari, who was a part of another rivalry with Tennessee when he was the head man at Memphis, improved to 17-11 all-time vs. the Volunteers.
- Kentucky shot 54.3% from the field, its best mark against an SEC opponent this season.
- The Wildcats are 7-0 this season when making at least half their shots and 17-2 when shooting a better mark than their opponent.
- UK limited Tennessee to 34.5% from the field.
- The Wildcats 199-19 (91.3%) under Calipari when keeping the opponent at 40 percent or less, including 12-3 this season.
- Kentucky won the rebounding 33-29.
- UK is 15-0 this season when winning the battle of the boards.
- Entering the game at 78.3% at the foul line, the Wildcats had another solid performance at 88% (22 of 25).
- It is UK’s fifth straight game shooting 80% or better, and the Wildcats are at 85.3% during that span.
- It was the second straight game that UK was great at the foul line late in the game. Today, UK made 10 of 10 in the final 3:33 after making 16 of 16 in the final 2:21 on Tuesday against Mississippi State.
- Kentucky led by as many as 13 points. UK is 278-7 under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points during the game.
In the First Half
- The starting lineup consisted of Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards for the ninth time this season. The Wildcats are 7-2 with the lineup.
- Nate Sestina was UK’s first substitute at the 16:55 mark.
- After Tennessee led 4-2, Kentucky went on a 7-0 run and never trailed again.
- Kentucky led by as many as 11 points at 34-23 before settling for a 37-30 tally at intermission.
- Maxey led the way with 11 points and Johnny Juzang’s eight was already a career high for him.
- UK is now 16-2 this season when leading at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the opening lineup.
- UK extended the lead back to 10 points on three occasions until a pair of 3-pointers by Santiago Vescovi cut the tally to 51-47 with 9:16 to play.
- An 8-2 spurt put the Wildcat lead back to 10.
- Another Vescovi three with 3:14 remaining pulled the Volunteers back within 66-61. However, both ends of a 1-and-1 by Richards and a Quickley 3-pointer gave the Wildcats a 10-point cushion that proved sufficient.
- Kentucky made 10 of 10 at the free throw line in final 3:33 to keep the home team at bay.
- UK largest lead was at the final buzzer, 77-64.