It looks like we’ll be hearing about the Kentucky Wildcats’ full basketball schedule very soon.
During a Wednesday Zoom meeting with the Lexington Rotary Club, Calipari revealed that the non-conference portion of Kentucky’s schedule is complete. Now it’s just a matter of the SEC announcing the conference portion before the 2020-21 schedule is fully complete for what’s projected to be a preseason top-10 Kentucky team (ESPN has them ranked No. 5).
Cal: UK non-conference portion of the schedule is set while waiting for SEC to announce the league schedule. UK has backup plans should an opponent drop out. A team from a Power 5 conference called recently offering to come to Lexington for a game.— Jerry Tipton (@JerryTipton) November 4, 2020
Coincidentally, ESPN’s basketball schedule for Dec. 1 has Kentucky going to Lawrence to play the Kansas Jayhawks. Assuming Calipari is right and the non-conference portion of Kentucky’s schedule is set, it appears ESPN got a heads up that the Champions classic matchup between the two programs is taking place at Kansas.
Either way, it sounds like we’ll be getting an official announcement from Kentucky very soon about the full non-conference portion of the 2020-21 schedule, which also includes matchups with Richmond, Notre Dame, UCLA, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Texas.
Here’s a recap of games on Kentucky’s schedule that have been confirmed:
- Three games in Kentucky’s multi-team event hosted at Rupp Arena vs. Detroit Mercy, Morehead State and Richmond in late November.
- Champions Classic vs. Kansas on Dec. 1.
- Holiday Hoopsgiving vs. Georgia Tech in Atlanta on Dec. 6.
- Home game against Notre Dame in December.
- Home game vs. Texas on Jan. 30 in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge.
- CBS Sports Classic vs. UCLA on Dec. 19 in Cleveland.
- Road game at Louisville in late December.
- 18-game SEC schedule that begins on Dec. 29 or 30.