The Kentucky Wildcats top-ranked recruit from their loaded 2020 recruiting class earned another preseason honor this week as Kevin Flaherty of 247 sports projects B.J. Boston to be among the top 10 players in college basketball this season.
Boston checked in at No. 7 on Flaherty’s list and is the only player from the SEC selected.
Explaining the projection Flaherty wrote, “Under normal circumstances, it wouldn’t be easy to pick Kentucky’s star here. Olivier Sarr is the most proven player, but as we mentioned with Carlik Jones, it’s tough to bet on an immediately eligible transfer. Terrence Clarke would be the star at 95% of other college basketball programs, and there would typically be some worry that he would eat into Boston’s production. But the word on Boston, the top-ranked shooting guard and No. 5 overall player in the 247Sports Composite, is that he’s been so special that he’s earning whispers that have been associated with only the most dominant Kentucky freshmen in the past. At a long 6-foot-6, Boston can score from all over the court and his athleticism is nearly tangible.”
Here’s Flaherty’s complete list:
1. Luka Garza, Iowa Hawkeyes
1A. Cade Cunningham, Oklahoma State Cowboys
3. Marcus Zegarowski, Creighton Bluejays
4. Jared Butler, Baylor Bears
5. Sam Hauser, Virginia Cavaliers
6. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana Hoosiers
7. B.J. Boston, Kentucky Wildcats
8. James Bouknight, UCONN Huskies
9. Carlik Jones, Louisville Cardinals
10. Drew Timme, Gonzaga Bulldogs