After 20 games, the Kentucky Wildcats are now 16-4 following Wednesday’s 71-62 win over Vanderbilt.
Despite a valiant effort by the undermanned Dores, Kentucky was able to take command in the second half and avoid the monumental upset while remaining within a game for the SEC lead at 6-1.
Tyrese Maxey scored 10 of his 17 points in the second half, while Nick Richards scored al 15 of his points after the halftime break, and Kentucky ended the game on a 32-15 run to come away with the hard-fought victory.
After the game, UK released the updated season stats now that 20 games are officially in the book.
In addition, here are the postgame notes and milestones via UK Athletics:
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 16-4 overall, winner of eight of its last nine games. UK is 6-1 in the Southeastern Conference, the sixth time in 11 seasons that UK has started 6-1 in league play under Coach John Calipari.
- Vanderbilt is 8-12 overall, 0-7 in the SEC.
- UK leads the series 148-47 and has won seven in a row vs. the Commodores.
- Next up: Kentucky plays Saturday at No. 17/16 Auburn. Game time is 6 p.m. ET (5 p.m. CT in Auburn) and it will be televised on ESPN.
- Nick Richards had 15 points and 11 rebounds – all except one rebound coming in the second half – his ninth double-double in 20 games.
- He had one double-double in 74 games entering the season.
- He scored in double figures for the ninth straight game and is averaging 17.3 points and 9.9 rebounds over the last nine games, both game highs.
- UK is 15-1 this season when he scores in double figures and 9-0 when he grabs double-digit rebounds.
- The Wildcats were plus-16 in Richards’ 22 minutes on the floor.
- Tyrese Maxey led the Wildcats in scoring with 17 points, his 13th double-figure scoring game of the season.
- Ashton Hagans had 12 points with efficient shooting. He was 4 of 6 from the field and 4 of 5 at the foul line. He drew nine fouls in the game.
- He had six assists to extend his five-or-more-assists streak to 17 straight games, the best streak since Tyler Ulis did it 24 straight games in 2015-16.
- Immanuel Quickley tallied 11 points, his ninth straight game in double figures.
- He’s averaging 16.9 points over the last nine games.
- EJ Montgomery had an efficient evening with nine points on 4-of-5 shooting.
- He had two crucial offensive rebound baskets during the second-half rally.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 321-75 at UK.
- He has a 766-215 all-time on-court record.
- UK is 259-43 against Associated Press unranked foes under Calipari.
- UK is 142-39 under Calipari in SEC regular-season games.
- Calipari is now 18-4 all-time vs. Vanderbilt and notched his first career win vs. Jerry Stackhouse.
- This marked UK’s first double-digit comeback win since Feb. 26, 2019, at home vs. Arkansas.
- UK won the rebounding 37-29, leading to an 11-0 advantage in second-chance points.
- Kentucky is 14-0 this season when outrebounding the opponent.
- The Wildcats limited Vanderbilt to 62 points and 38.9% from the field.
- UK is 182-7 (.963) under Calipari when keeping the opponent to 63 points or less.
- UK is 197-18 (.916) under Calipari when keeping the opponent at 40% or less.
- UK shot 46.4% from the field and is now 15-1 this season when outshooting the opponent.
- Entering the game at 77.1% at the foul line, the Wildcats had another solid performance at 84.2% (16 of 19).
- Kentucky led by 11 points late in the game. UK is now 276-7 under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points at any time in the contest.
- Kentucky has won 11 in a row at home and is 12-1 on the season at Rupp Arena.
In the First Half
- The starting lineup consisted of Ashton Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards for the sixth time this season. The Wildcats are 5-1 with the lineup.
- Maxey made a rim-bouncing 3-pointer on the first possession.
- Richards picked up two quick fouls and was replaced by UK’s first sub, Nate Sestina, at the 16:34 mark.
- VU’s Scotty Pippen Jr. broke a 22-22 tie with a 3-pointer with 5:43 remaining.
- Vanderbilt went on to lead at halftime, 35-28, UK’s largest halftime deficit of the season.
- UK is now 2-3 this season when trailing at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky began the second half with the opening lineup.
- Vanderbilt stretched the lead to 40-30 at the 18:20 mark of the second half, only the second opponent this season UK has trailed by double digits. UK was behind by as many as 17 vs. Utah.
- Kentucky gradually edged back in the game, retaking the lead 51-50 with 9:27 to go on a second-chance basket by Montgomery.
- Free throws by Quickley at 8:33 put UK ahead again at 53-52 and the Wildcats led the rest of the way.
- Ahead 60-58, UK closed the game on an 11-4 run.
- UK held Vanderbilt without a basket for the final 5:39 of the game.
- Richards recorded 15 points and 10 rebounds after halftime.