Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Today’s big news is the transfer of former LSU defensive back Kelvin Joseph, a top-50 recruit in the 2018 class (#42), to Kentucky. Justin Rowland of Rivals.com tweeted out the news late last night, and Jason has it covered here.
If you’ve been paying attention, you know the Kentucky secondary suffered huge losses last season. This important get shores up the secondary not for this season, but certainly for next, and puts the secondary back on an excellent path going forward.
That doesn’t help us this year, of course, and this season is going to be a trial in the defensive backfield, as young as it is. Kentucky’s best defense is probably going to be offensive production, but that looks likely to change as early as next season with the addition of Joseph and the return of the injured Davonte Robinson.
Tweet of the Morning
Joseph, per his 247Sports recruiting ranking, would be the fourth-highest rated player to ever play at Kentucky. Was the No. 42 recruit nationally in the 2018 class. https://t.co/cpNkxKsZmi— Derek Terry (@DerekSTerry) August 27, 2019
- Reasons to worry about Kentucky football 2019. All these are certainly valid. but I tend to be a glass-half-full kind of guy.
- The first depth chart of the season for Toledo reveals few surprises.
- Five Kentucky players poised for stardom this season.
- Media disrespect of Kentucky gives Mark Stoops bulletin-board material.
- The Courier-Journal has some “bold” predictions for Kentucky football this season.
- Toledo will provide an early test for Kentucky.
- Defensive lineman Phil Hoskins out for two games due to academic issue.
- Stoops looking forward with excitement toward the season kickoff versus Toledo.
- Oregon, UCLA, Michigan and Memphis will be Kentucky’s biggest recruiting rivals for 2020.
- Star 2020 forward Isaiah Jackson will visit Kentucky this weekend..
Other Kentucky sports
- Volleyball coach Craig Skinner signs extension with Kentucky through 2023-24. Congratulations. Skinner has done a simply outstanding job as volleyball coach at UK.
- Ex-Penn State physician is suing coach James Franklin for directing still-injured football players to play in contravention of medical advice. Michael McCann of SI examines the lawsuit.
- Trendon Watford was a big-time get for LSU, and could have them in the SEC mix this season.
- Candid coaches asks which conference has the best stable of basketball coaches. The answer will probably not surprise you, but the SEC’s position might.
Other sports news
- DeMarcus Cousins takes his nuptial vows in Atlanta. He’s now a married man. Congratulations to him and his new bride, the former Mogan Lang.
- Before you rip Andrew Luck for his early retirement, check out this list of players who wished they’d done the same.
That got me thinking of Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners, his famous, “...Pow, right in the kisser!” Looking around for a clip of that, I couldn’t find one I liked. So you’ll have to settle for this hilarious memory from a bygone time.