Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Today’s big news is yesterday’s big news -- the commitment of Brandon “B.J.” Boston, currently ranked #10 in the 247Sports Composite.
Boston tells Kyle Boone of CBS Sports that he thinks Kentucky has the culture that fits him best. He is considered a gifted scorer at the wing and was the MVP of EYBL Dallas.
Boston is a good shooter out to the three point line, but the most interesting part of his game, from what I have seen, is his handle. For a player his size, he is an extremely gifted ballhandler and a very capable passer. Scoring aside, he really is skilled with the ball in his hands and runs the floor very well.
He’s a good athlete but hardly a Zion Williamson. He needs to gain considerable weight before taking the floor in college, but Boston is a great first recruit for 2020.
Tweet of the Morning
Sitting at the gate for my flight back to Dallas wearing Kentucky Wildcats apparel of course .. and someone in front of me has a Duke shirt on ... I wonder if they've been a fan or just since this last season ???...hmmmm— Ky_Sweetheart17 (@Ky_17Sweetheart) July 30, 2019
You never know...
I need people who look at adversity as a challenge and failure as a learning opportunity. – John Calipari— Coach Quotes (@CoachMotto) July 30, 2019
- Eli Manning hit especially hard by the death of Jared Lorenzen.
- The five most indispensable Wildcats. There are no real surprises here.
- Mark Stoops isn’t concerned about modest pre-season expectations from the media.
- Coach Stoops turns to the Longhorn State to find his next graduate assistant. I hear they like football there, too.
- Co-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach Darin Hinshaw thinks Terry Wilson might throw 35-40 times per game this season.
- Four new crystal ball picks for N’Faly Dante. All went in favor of a Pac-12 team.
- Brandon Boston could have some big-time company in Kentucky’s commitment list very soon...
- Cameron Mills (or is it Terry Brown?) shares some thoughts about ten years of John Calipari, and Kyle Macey’s recent comments.
- Kentucky fans will like the latest tweet from Dick Vitale.
Other Kentucky sports
- Report: Former Wildcats pitcher Chandler Shepherd called up by Baltimore.
- UK Hoops ranks in the top 20 in attendance for the 10th straight year.
- Kentucky volleyball wins the American Volleyball Coaches Association Academic Award for maintaining at least a 3.30 cumulative GPA.
- Georgia gets commitment from 5-star Kendall Milton, the #4 running back in the USA.
- 13 former SEC quarterbacks open training camp on NFL rosters.
- Marcus Bagley, brother of Marvin Bagley III, commits to Arizona State.
- DaJuan Wagner Jr., son of the former Memphis player, is said to be a fearless 2023 prospect.
- What should we expect from Mick Cronin’s first year at UCLA? SI looks at the question.
Other sports news
- Former Kentucky DB Lonnie Johnson had to leave the Houston Texans practice early over the weekend with an apparent leg injury.
- Benny Snell finds ways forward:
Showed this a lot at Kentucky. Even when there’s nothing there, pushes forward for “aggravating yards,” as Mark Stoops calls them. Not many TFLs on his resume.— Jeff Drummond (@JDrumUK) July 29, 2019