The Kentucky Wildcats are back on campus to start training for the 2019-20 season, and one WIldcat has already been named a contender to win a major award.
Andy Katz of NCAA.com listed his favorites to win the 2019-20 Jerry West award, given to the nation’s top shooting guard. Coming in at No. 11 on Katz’s list was incoming freshman Tyrese Maxey.
“Maxey should benefit greatly from an experienced point guard in Ashton Hagans. Maxey will be an all-around guard who can get buckets,” Katz wrote.
Maxey is the nation’s 13th-ranked prospect according to the ESPN 300 and ranks third among point guards only behind Anthony Edwards (Georgia) and Josh Green (Arizona).
If he were to win the award, he’d join Malik Monk as the only other Kentucky player to win the award in what will be its sixth season. Other winners of the West award include D’Angelo Russell, Buddy Hield, Carsen Edwards and RJ Barrett.
Now here’s a list all 25 candidates listed by Katz. Spoiler alert Maxey isn’t the only familiar name on the list.
- Myles Powell, Seton Hall Pirates
- Anthony Edwards, Georgia Bulldogs
- Cole Anthony, North Carolina Tar Heels
- Aaron Henry, Michigan State Spartans
- Sam Merrill, Utah State Aggies
- Markell Johnson, North Carolina State Wolfpack
- Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati Bearcats
- Alpha Diallo , Providence Friars
- Dave Moretti , Texas Tech Red Raiders
- Marcus Evans, VCU Rams
- Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky Wildcats
- Trent Frazier, Illinois Fighting Illini
- Remy Martin, Arizona State Sun Devils
- Braxton Key, Virginia Cavaliers
- Kellan Grady, Davidson Wildcats
- Ty-Shon Alexander, Creighton Bluejays
- David Collins, South Florida Bulls
- Joe Wieskamp, Iowa Hawkeyes
- Fatts Russell, Rhode Island Rams
- Cartier Diarra Jr, Kansas State Wildcats
- TJ Gibbs, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure Bonnies
- Matt Coleman III, Texas Longhorns
- Quade Green, Washington Huskies
- Dejon Jarreau, Houston Cougars
In addition to being named the Jerry West award contender list Maxey was named as a third team Preseason All-American by NBC Sports.
Here’s what NBC Sports had to say about Maxey:
“Once again, it is tough to figure out who, exactly, will be Kentucky’s All-American candidate next season, so we’re going with Maxey because he seems to be the guy that projects as the leading scorer right now.”
Here’s a look at the full third team Preseason All-American Team projected to join Maxey.