Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Well, midsummer’s day is now behind us and we’re moving very quickly toward Independence Day. That means that football practice begins in less than two months. It seems that summer moves so fast these days, and particularly so this year since the Commonwealth has been inundated by rain, especially on the weekends. I saw a stat the other day that 90% of weekends in Kentucky this year so far have been impacted significantly by rain, and we are on pace to eclipse the rainiest year ever in Kentucky, which was set… last year.
With the NBA Draft over, and the NBA Summer Leagues about to begin (they start next week), a number of players who either didn’t get drafted last Thursday or have been struggling to find a roster spot get a chance to show off their ability. Some of the notable undrafted players who will be participating are:
- Dedric Lawson, Kansas (Golden State)
- Phil Booth, Villanova (Cleveland)
- Zach Norvell Jr., Gonzaga (LA Lakers)
- Fletcher Magee, Wofford (Milwaukee)
- Naz Reid, LSU (Minnesota)
- Tyus Battle, Syracuse (Minnesota)
- V.J. King, Louisville (NY Nicks)
- Tacko Fall, UCF (Boston)
- Nick Ward, Michigan State (Atlanta)
- Reid Travis, Kentucky (Atlanta)
Tweet of the Morning
Spoke to a source this morning that says the surprise of the early UK Basketball workouts is Johnny Juzang.....playing great and MUCH better than people thought— Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) June 24, 2019
I’ve been hearing a buzz about this guy as well.
- Kentucky’s top football recruit Justin Robers was not swayed by Alabama’s pitch. Wow. That’s… pretty amazing.
- Last year, Mark Stoops assigned ace recruiter Vince Morrow to the city of Louisville. That decision has been paying off big time for the Wildcats.
- Kentucky gets four commitments, including two in-state players, over the weekend.
- Kentucky emerging as the leader for top five 2020 recruit Jalen Green. He’s a terrific athlete with a knack for scoring, and a legit 6‘5”.
Other Kentucky sports
- If you could change college football history by changing one old touchdown, which would it be?
Sources: The Big East will hold an official vote today on whether or not to add UConn as an 11th member of the conference.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) June 24, 2019
- The NCAA says that a bill being considered by the state legislature could force the NCAA to bar them from competing in NCAA championships.
Other sports news
- Tyler Herro a perfect fit for the Heat despite his wingspan.
- Women’s World Cup soccer team gets by a gritty Spain 2-1, faces top contender France next.