Former UK All-American and national champion Johnny Cox will be honored as Kentucky’s representative in the 2019 class of Southeastern Conference Legends at the 2019 SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Nashville.
Each year, the conference honors former greats from all 14 SEC institutions. Cox will be honored at halftime of the Cats’ first game of the tournament.
Cox, a native of Hazard, KY, helped lead the Cats to the 1959 national championship. He averaged 14.9 points and 12.6 rebounds per game for the 23-6 Cats. Cox also helped to guide UK to the SEC Championship in 1958 and 1959.
In 1959, Cox was selected as a first team All-American selection and made the NCAA Final Four All-Tournament team as well. He was also a three-time All-SEC performer.
In his decorated career, Cox averaged a double-double (17.4 points and 12.0 rebounds). He concluded his career fourth on UK’s All-Time scoring list with 1,425 points. He is only one of four Wildcats to register 1,000 points and rebounds in a career.
After his UK days, Cox was selected in the fourth round of the NBA Draft by the New York Knicks. He played one season for the Chicago Zephyrs and averaged 7.8 points per game before joining the American Basketball League.
His No. 24 jersey is hanging in Rupp Arena’s rafters and he was among the inaugural class of UK Athletics Hall of Fame.
Following is a list of the 2019 SEC Basketball Legends:
- Alabama- Erwin Dudley- 2000-2003
- Arkansas- Corey Beck- 1992-1995
- Auburn- Mike Mitchell- 1975-1978
- Florida- Livingston Chatman- 1987-1991
- Georgia- Jumaine Jones- 1997-1999
- Kentucky- Johnny Cox- 1957-1959
- LSU- Wayde Sims- 2016-2018
- Ole Miss- Justin Reed- 2001-2004
- Mississippi State- Lawrence Roberts- 2003-2005
- Missouri- Melvin Booker- 1991-1994
- South Carolina- Carlos Powell- 2001-2005
- Tennessee- Mike Jackson- 1973-1977
- Texas A&M- Antoine Wright- 2002-2005
- Vanderbilt- Derrick Byars- 2005-2007