This is the second time this season Bowden has received the national honor. He joins Oregon’s Justin Herbert and Washington State’s Anthony Gordon as the only quarterbacks to win the award twice this season.
Bowden and Kentucky broke multiple school, SEC, and Governor’s Cup records in their win vs. Louisville, which included a school-record 517 team rushing yards and an SEC record pf 12.9 yards per rushing attempt.
Here are some of the marks Bowden hit on that special day in Lexington:
- Rushed 22 times for a career-high 284 yards and career-high four touchdowns, which bokre or tied six records in the process.
- Those 284 yards broke the SEC record for most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single game.
- Bowden set the Governor’s Cup records for most rushing yards and most rushing touchdowns and was given the Howard Schnellenberger Award as the game’s Most Valuable Player.
- Bowden tied the school records for most touchdowns in a game and most rushing touchdowns in a game while averaging 12.9 yards per rushing attempt, third-best in SEC history (min. 20 attempts).
- Bowden broke the school record for most rushing yards in a season by a quarterback and became the ninth 1,000-yard rusher in school history.
Like a boss.