Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
I didn’t get to see the UK-CMU game on Saturday as I was busy doing other things, but I did get to follow it on my smartphone. I also have recorded the replay of it, which I intend to watch today some time.
But from what I do know about it, the big problem that UK had was a first-time starting quarterback who had ball security and interception issues. All three UK first-half turnovers, if my memory serves, led to points of some kind, and two of them to touchdowns.
But still, it seems that Terry Wilson has the kind of game with more upside than Gunnar Hoak, even though Hoak definitely showed poise in the pocket and throwing the ball according to what I’ve read. Wilson just has much better wheels, and can give a defense more to worry about.
I’m going to chalk this game up to typical first-game Kentucky jitters. We seem to see it every year, and at least it didn’t turn into a Southern Miss-style debacle of a couple years back.
Now we travel to the Swamp to face Florida. Kentucky has exactly two things going for it in this game: 1) they are way overdue, and 2) Florida has a new coach and a new system. I’m not sure either or both of them is even close to enough, but we can always hope. One thing that Florida is going to get to see a lot of is Benny Snell, and I don’t think they’re going to like that very much.
Tweet of the Morning
Remembering the beloved Steve Irwin, who passed away on this day 12 years ago. pic.twitter.com/rar0vB1DuG— TODAY (@TODAYshow) September 4, 2018
I always liked Steve Irwin.
- Everything Mark Stoops had to say about UK’s trip to Florida.
- Is it just me, or is this headline actually hilarious: Is Kentucky’s window for ending Florida losing streak about to close? All I can say is that when you have a 30+ year losing streak to a team, “window for ending [a] losing streak” is pretty much a non-sequitur.
- Florida gives UK some locker-room material. Hope it helps…
- John Clay uses a little reverse psychology for the UK-Florida game. Hey, why not, maybe it will work — for sure, nothing else has.
- Neither Florida nor Kentucky have many injury concerns heading into Saturday’s game.
- EJ Montgomery models his game after Anthony Davis. Will he wind up being as impactful as John Calipari thinks?
- Evan Daniels thinks Kahlil Whitney, a UK 2019 small forward commit, has “top-2” talent.
Other Kentucky sports
- Men’s soccer sweeps CUSA players of the week awards.
- Kentucky and Louisville will face off in soccer tonight in Lexington.
- Time to overreact to week 1!
- Tomahawk Nation on Florida State’s opening-night loss to Va. Tech. I have one observation — only 3 points?
Other sports news
- Chaos in USA Gymnastics.
Kerry Perry has resigned as President and CEO of USA Gymnastics, effective immediately.— USA Gymnastics (@USAGym) September 4, 2018
- Roger Federer shown the door at the US Open by #55 John Millman.
- Nike uses Colin Kaepernick to highlight their Just Do It 30th anniversary. This is probably going to be controversial. Do I have a gift for understatement, or what?
Nike's decision to use Colin Kaepernick as the face of its latest advertising campaign has some sports fans destroying their shoes -- and others buying them https://t.co/jwAaCWI23f pic.twitter.com/MhVGcHx6vB— CNN (@CNN) September 4, 2018
- John Asher died last week, and his visitation is today. Our sympathy, prayers, and best wishes go out to his family and connections. He will be missed.
- Water-world exoplanets could be friendly to life.
- In quantum physics, both chicken and egg can both come first. Hey, maybe that’s the answer to the riddle after all…