clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UK Basketball Recruiting: Evan Daniels updates recruitments of Vernon Carey and James Wiseman

Kentucky is still in the running for both elite big man, though getting either no sure thing.

Courtside Films and USA Today

Kentucky is still very much in the running for two of the top stars in the 2019 class in Vernon Carey Jr. and James Wiseman.

The No. 1 and No. 2 players in the class (on 247 Sports’ rankings), John Calipari would be getting a huge boost to his 2019 roster if he got just one of them.

Evan Daniels, a recruiting expert for 247 Sports, recently told Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader that it’d be a shock if Kentucky got them both, but one is possible.

“They can play together, for sure,” Daniels said, according to Roberts. “But I would be surprised if Kentucky got both of them.”

Wiseman is the No. 1 player in the class, and his recruitment is essentially down to the Memphis Tigers and Kentucky. Memphis is currently the favorite in the 6-11 center’s crystal ball, receiving 58 percent of the predictions. Kentucky has the other 42 percent. Nineteen predictions have been entered.

“I don’t think he’s in a rush to make a decision,” Daniels said, according to Roberts. “He’s in a position where everyone’s waiting on him, it’s not the other way around. So I don’t think there’s too much going on there right now.”

Carey is the No. 2 player in the class and the No. 1 power forward. The 6-10 Carey has a list of Kentucky, Miami, Michigan State, Duke and North Carolina. Duke currently leads in Carey’s crystal ball.

“I don’t think Vernon Carey knows where he’s going to school yet,” Daniels said, according to Roberts. “I still think he’s sifting through it, and there are a handful of schools involved. I couldn’t call a favorite right now for him.”

Wiseman seems to be the best player in the class by most accounts. But either player would be a great first step to making Calipari’s 2019-20 roster yet another loaded one.

Since it’s becoming more evident that Kentucky isn’t going to get both, ideally, one of them is going to make his decision with some space between the other. So if Wiseman ends up picking Memphis in the fall, ideally Carey doesn’t decide until the spring, giving Kentucky more time to recruit him as ‘the’ big man for their 2019 class.

While they want Carey, Wiseman has been their main focus, but either could change the game in 2019-20.

Be sure to go ‘like’ our Facebook page and follow our Twitter page for the latest Kentucky Wildcats news.