Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday Morning Quickies.
Today, I would like to highlight this article in the Courier-Journal, which enumerates the former University of Kentucky basketball players who are now in head coaching positions in basketball.
It’s an impressive list, and amazing how many of them are from the 1996 NCAA champions. Also, I want to point out how happy I was to hear that Dwayne Casey was hired by the Detroit Pistons. Casey had a CoY-worthy season at Toronto only to be fired by the Raptors in one of the more bizarre bits of irony you’ll see. Only in the NBA could this happen.
Tweets of the Morning
Staley Cates, George Cates and pastor John Bryson from Memphis stopped in today. Great friends! pic.twitter.com/gCUPOeFWJ0— John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari) June 11, 2018
The year is 2038. 58 year old Rafa Nadal has won The French Open again. pic.twitter.com/IT3w2Addh3— Eric Kotchi (@ekotchi) June 10, 2018
Wow. Just wow. He’s just 3 years younger than me, and winning major championships in tennis. Cognitive fail, apparently due to lack of coffee.
- A former Tennessee commitment is coming to Kentucky. That’s always fun.
- The latest on Kentucky’s 2019 basketball targets. Just get me James Wiseman for a start.
- 2019 UK recruit:
After struggling against USA, 2019 SG Lester Quinones came out with a big time showing. Saw him go for 38 at Marshall Co. in December & just saw him go for another 31 (7/12 from 3). Has had a huge year.— Travis Branham (@TravisBranham_) June 11, 2018
- Pendleton County’s Dontaie Allen made an unofficial visit to UK and is hoping for an offer. UK hasn’t made one, but he’s on Calipari’s radar.
- Kentucky’s Nick Richards is featured in a new LeBron James HBO Sports documentary. Hope this doesn’t produce an NCAA violation somehow…
- UK set to face Seton Hall in 2nd annual Citi Hoops Classic in Madison Square Garden.
Other Kentucky sports
- Yes, you read that right — 43 bowl games for college football is the new hotness.
- Is a loose warhead in the FBI investigation of college basketball about to derail the whole thing?
- Bruce Pearl will be receiving a contract extension. I’d say he earned it, and isn’t it amazing considering all the bad pub he got from being implicated in the FBI investigation?
Other sports news
- What should LeBron James do this summer? SI has some suggestions for consideration. I think Houston would be the most interesting basketball option, but at this point, James is much more than just basketball. That’s why the Los Angeles Lakers seems more sensible to me, if he can get LA to pay his taxes for him as well. I’m just not convinced that LeBron would be enough to get the Lakers competitive with Golden State.
Which pretty much leaves Houston, or possibly Boston, if he and Kyrie Irving can coexist, which is a big if. If I were to guess, I’d say he stays in Cleveland and demands changes. Who knows, maybe it’ll work…
- Justify could give Churchill Downs a marquis name for the Breeder’s Cup this year.
- Florida Gators’ walk-off homer against Auburn launches them to Omaha and the College World Series.
- This is just… Well, it’s just wrong, man.
- After a coach of the year finalist season, Dwane Casey was fired from Toronto. Now he’s the new coach of the Detroit Pistons.
- NASA is trying to use the power of the U.S. Government to force a woman to surrender a vial of moon dust given to her by astronaut Neil Armstrong. Back off, NASA.
- Mysterious objects discovered near the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way.
- 14-year long experiment confirms Einstein’s theory that the Earth is a free-falling elevator in the sun’s gravity.