Until Condoleezza Rice gets her way and the NCAA, NBA, and USA Basketball get more involved, shoe companies still run the show when it comes to summer basketball. This weekend will be a perfect example of that.
If you live near the Indianapolis area, you will have the opportunity to see most of the top recruits for the 2019 and 2020 classes as there are two big tournaments there this weekend.
The Under Armor Association will be there with their second tournament of the season. This is a qualifying opportunity to play in the Finals in Las Vegas in July, so teams will be battling to earn those spot.
Kentucky targets Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine from the 2019 recruiting class will be there, as well as R.J. Hampton in-state recruit KyKy Tandy from the 2020 class. Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (2020) will also be in action, and while Kentucky fans would love to see his name on Kentucky’s recruiting list there is no action there as of yet.
Nike will also be in Indy with the EYBL circuit. You can bet on Kentucky staff members being there to watch the Bluff City Legends featuring Kentucky commit D.J. Jeffires (2019) and recruit James Wiseman (2019).
Other Kentucky targets in action will be Jalen Lecque (2019...or 2018), Tyrese Maxey (2019...but maybe 2018), Keion Brooks (2019), and top 2019 recruit Vernon Carey.
For the 2020 class, Kentucky will be watching Ethan Morton, Addison Patterson, and Scottie Barnes, the latter of which just scored an offer from UK.
The Adidas Gauntlet will be taking place in Atlanta, GA this weekend as well. Matthew Hurt (2019) is one of the top Kentucky recruits that will be in action there. But Adidas doesn’t exactly have the best reputation right now, in case you haven’t heard, so that tournament does not appear to have the star-power of the others.
If you are available, I encourage you to check these guys out. Since John Calipari is sidelined from a recent surgery, he may not be able to attend these events. So the more blue that gets in, the better.
Stories from the first spring AAU weekend:
- Vernon Carey updates recruitment and UK interest
- Update on Ashton Hagans reclassification plans
- Kentucky Basketball: Recruiting, NBA Draft and Roster Update
- Jalen Lecque talks UK interest and possible reclassification
- Where the Cats’ targets land in the latest Rivals 2019 rankings
- Cole Anthony drawing interest from Wildcats
- Tracking John Calipari at the Nike EYBL and UAA
- Evan Daniels predicting UK for Tyrese Maxey, Duke for Bryan Antoine
- Calipari leaves Dallas to see Matthew Hurt in Indianapolis
- Vernon Carey modeling game after DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis
- R.J. Hampton hearing a lot from UK
- KyKy Tandy updates his recruitment
- Kentucky and Indiana are going head-to-head for Keion Brooks
- Kentucky’s interest in Ethan Morton continues
- UK showing interest in 2020 guard Josh Christopher
- Kira Lewis drawing interest from UK