clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Kentucky Wildcats Football Forecast: Southern Miss Recap and Look Ahead to EKU

The Cats are 1-0 heading into their home opener.

NCAA Football: Eastern Kentucky at Kentucky Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

Coming off an unimpressive win yesterday at Southern Miss, albeit avenging their home-opening loss a season ago, Mark Stoops and his Kentucky Wildcat troops will begin this week to prepare for this year's home opener against the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels.

Kentucky had a rough start to yesterday's game, particularly in the Wildcat Offense ran by Benny Snell. A bad snap and and a red zone fumble deflated multiple opportunities for Kentucky to extend the final decision.

Stephen Johnson and the passing attack didn't exactly blow everyone away but did enough to get the job done. Johnson completed just 11/20 passes for 176 yards and one touchdown. He rushed five times for 10 yards and a touchdown, too.

CJ Conrad shined bright, however, and showed flashes of Travis Kelce/Rob Gronkowski in the receiving game. Conrad caught three balls for 97 yards and a touchdown, including an impressive 59-yard catch-and-run early in the game.

The defense, however, excelled all afternoon long. Courtney Love, Denzil Ware, and Josh Allen brought the heat, combining for 5.5 tackles for loss and two sacks. Ware also returned a fumble for a touchdown.

This was more than just a season-opening win for the Cats. It was the 600th win in Kentucky football history. The win also moved Kentucky to an 8-4 record over the last 12 games, including the third road win in that stretch (also last season at Missouri and Louisville).

Here are some highlights from yesterday's game.

EKU traveled to Western Kentucky University yesterday to fall to the Hilltoppers, 31-17. With the line at -38.5 in favor of WKU, however, the Colonels arguably put up a respectable fight.

Next Saturday the ESPN Football Power Index is giving EKU just a 2.1% chance to win, leaving a 97.9% chance for UK to begin their season 2-0.

For more previews/updates throughout the week, check back at ASeaOfBlue.com.