Good morning, ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation, and welcome to the Tuesday morning quickies.
Today’s most interesting article is this one over at CoachCal.com, highlighting a Sports Illustrated article ranking the top 100 NBA players of 2018. Kentucky has four players in the range of 100-51, including Kentucky fan favorite Patrick Patterson (98), Julius Randle (94), Nerlens Noel (86) and Devin Booker (64). Look for a lot more UK players in the top half of the rankings, which is due out today sometime.
Tweet of the Morning
Calipari (and Justus) vs. Shaka for Keldon Johnson? Both at Oak Hill to see the 5-star shooting guard today. https://t.co/3QCmc4YzmK— Ben Roberts (@BenRobertsHL) September 11, 2017
- Jen Smith has an article about what Kentucky is doing to fix the offensive line problems they’ve suffered over the last two games. Bad snaps and penalties are apparently on the top of the list, and should be.
- Kentucky football reaches its week of reckoning. Indeed, now we find out whether these last two weeks have just been growing pains, or signs of real trouble.
- Kentucky-Florida set to be a night game.
- Ben Roberts talks with John Clay about UK recruiting. Apparently, hurricane Irma has had an effect on Calipari’s travel plans. Much more in there to listen to. Late in the podcast, there is a big update on Kelden Johnson. Romeo Langford news is also there, and unfortunately, it’s not as good as we’d like.
- Apropos to above, hurricane Irma forces the cancellation of an important visit to Zion Williamson, a top 2018 target.
- Sights from Kentucky Basketball’s photo day. Here’s a reminder that Big Blue Madness is little more than a month away.
Immanuel Quickley visiting UK this weekend...I could see a commitment soon after— Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) September 11, 2017
Other Kentucky sports
- Cross-country runner Jacob Thompson named USTFCCA Men’s Athlete of the Week. Congratulations!
- Men’s soccer sweeps CUSA Players of the Week, now set for mid-week game against Cincinnati.
- Because of Hurricane Irma, FIU will not be able to play Indiana on Saturday. Now, IU is looking for a game in week six of the season. It’s among the least of the problems of the hurricane aftermath, but it’s playing the very devil with college football.
Deshaun Watson just called and told me he was using his remaining eligibility to come back for Saturday and beat Louisville again, wow— JP (@JPaul_KY) September 12, 2017
- Indiana basketball is on a roll in recruiting.
- Stat guru Ken Pomeroy will be joining The Athletic, a site I’m not really aware of.
Other sports news
- Darius Miller says he wasn’t ready for his first shot at the NBA, but now he thinks he is.
- Ezikiel Elliott’s six-game suspension has been temporarily enjoined (stopped) by a Federal judge. The Cowboys are appealing that injunction to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Researchers find an internal clock within living human cells.
- The Cassini space probe is now on it’s way to the end of its existence in an encounter with the planet Saturn on September 15th. But the data it has collected in it’s live is extraordinary.
- Well, I couldn’t have lived without knowing this: Serious physics between a double-pendulum fidget spinner.