I’ve had a great time doing the UK postgame shows for ESPN 680 but this one was hard to do. When Malik Monk hit the miraculous three to tie the game 73-73, I had the feeling that once again Monk Magic would prevail in overtime.
Then, Luke Maye broke our hearts by hitting a very long but uncontested two point jump shot to clench the game for North Carolina, 75-73 in the Elite Eight. As I picked myself up off the floor- literally- I sat down at the microphone for a two hour therapy session with my co-host Lachlan McLean and BBN callers from around the country.
Here is what we discussed:
- What ultimately lost it for Kentucky was the too little too late production from De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk
- North Carolina did a masterful job defending Monk and Fox
- Kentucky’s defense was great as well, holding the high scoring Tar Heels to 75
- Unlikely heroes Luke Maye and Isaac Humphries were a big story
- All in all this was a fun season and there is no shame in losing this game
- We take callers and they were sad but happy with the season
- Two UofL fans call to troll and I roast them hard
- A lady from Kansas calls in to praise Calipari and his graciousness in defeat while she blasts Bill Self, Kansas, and Louisville fans
- Coach Cal’s postgame press conference is covered in it’s entirety
- We have sound from players in the locker-room, Derek Willis, Bam Adebayo, Dominique Hawkins, and De’Aaron Fox. It’s tough to listen to.
- Coach Cal is one of the best coaches in the business in regards to the tournament
- The UK players are heartbroken and it shows how much they cared
- We talk about who is going to the NBA
- We discuss roles of guys likely coming back
It was a pleasure doing the postgame show for ESPN 680. I can’t wait to get back to it and I’m already looking forward to football season. Thanks for listening and following on A Sea of Blue. You guys are the best.