Are you passionate about Kentucky Wildcats sports? Are you willing to be a consistent writer and have your articles published on one of the top SB Nation College websites?
If so, we're looking for experienced, passionate sports writers to publish quality articles on A Sea of Blue and have the chance at becoming a regular contributor.
Right now, the main thing we’re looking for are more writers in the Lexington area that are able to cover media events. Those include coach press conferences and all 22 sports at Kentucky. We’re also looking for more editors to help strengthen our staff.
We don't provide pay to start, but we do provide opportunities to get credentialed to UK events if you write here long enough, including basketball, baseball, softball, and football games.
For interested writers: You will also be able to write on one or more of the following: Kentucky basketball, football, women's hoops, baseball, softball, recruiting, former Cats in the NBA/NFL, etc. If you are an expert in just one sport that is fine — we’re still interested in hearing from you.
This is an entry-level position in sports media. Candidates with at least one full year of writing experience at another blog, newspaper or writing service are strongly preferred. Experience in producing sports news are preferred in either an intern, academic or professional capacity is also preferable but not required.
Any kind of writing or communication degree (or degree in-progress) is also preferred but not required. Strong knowledge of sports and a demonstrated ability to write in an online environment are musts.
We’re also looking to bring on more editors to help ensure our site is running effectively and efficiently while serving the fans in the best manner possible.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong knowledge about UK sports, both current and historical
- Possesses excellent writing skills
- Is good with interviewing players and coaches.
- Has a nose for news, both in knowing what is important and identifying where to find it.
- Is able to write in line with our best practices for ideal search engine optimization (SEO).
- Is able to write and publish quickly while remaining accurate.
- Is a self-starter who can work with minimal direction.
- Possesses solid communication skills.
- Is comfortable working in a virtual environment.
How to apply
Please email email@example.com with the following info:
1. Full Name, Email Address, Topics/Sports interested in blogging about, Twitter handle, writing availability, and why you want to write for our site/network.
2. Examples of your posts and links to any previous work you have done.
3. Your resume and LinkedIn profile if you have one.
4. We will require an initial post for evaluations that we will publish on our site if it is suitable.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Note: A writing position here is not guaranteed.