Even with as much firepower as Kentucky, the Cats won’t always win pretty.
The last two games are an example of this, as UK has now grinded out back-to-back slobber-knockers that were much closer than anyone anticipated. but just like Tuesday's thriller at Vandy, Malik Monk and Isaiah Briscoe came up big to help UK score a 92-72 win.
Monk was the star of the show, going for 24 points on 8-of-14 shooting to go with six assists. Briscoe finished with 10 points on 4-of-6 shooting, seven of which came in the second half. He added five assists and three boards.
Wenyen Gabriel was a beast on the boards with a career-high 16 rebounds. He added six points, two blocks and a steal for good measure.
Here is the final box score:
Enjoy the highlights of win No. 15:
Here are the postgame notes and milestones, courtesy of UK Athletics:
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 15-2 overall, 5-0 in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn is 11-6, 1-4 in the SEC.
- This is the third time in Coach John Calipari’s eight seasons at UK that the Wildcats have been spotless through their first five league games.
- Kentucky leads the series 92-18, including 47-2 in Lexington.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats play at Mississippi State on Tuesday at 7 p.m. EST. The game will be televised on ESPN.
In the First Half
- Kentucky started the lineup of Isaiah Briscoe, De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Wenyen Gabriel and Bam Adebayo for the 11th time this season. UK is 9-2 with this lineup.
- After making only one 3-point shot Tuesday at Vanderbilt, Kentucky came out hot from long distance today. The Wildcats made 8-of-12 on 3-pointers in the first half – including their first two baskets by Gabriel and Monk -- extending Kentucky’s streak of 3-pointers to 992 consecutive games.
- Trailing 13-10, Kentucky went on a 10-0 run and never trailed again.
- Kentucky added a 9-0 spurt to go ahead 36-25.
- The Wildcats led by 13 points on two occasions in the first half and went to intermission with a 51-39 advantage.
- It was the eighth time this season that UK tallied at least 50 points in the first half.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky increased the lead to 14 points at 58-44 before Auburn went on a 12-2 run, pulling within 60-56.
- Briscoe responded with a 3-pointer and a layup.
- Auburn refused to go away, getting back within 70-64.
- At that point, Kentucky put the game away with a 14-4 spurt, giving the Wildcats an 84-68 advantage.
- Kentucky went on to a 92-72 victory, its largest lead of the game.
- Kentucky shot a season-best 57.1 percent from the field. It is the 12th time this season and fifth game in a row that the Wildcats have hit at least half their shots.
- Kentucky also shot a season-high 57.9 percent on 3-pointers, making 11 of 19.
- Five Wildcats scored in double figures; it’s the eighth straight game that at least one Wildcat tallied 20 or more points.
- Led by Wenyen Gabriel’s career-high 16 rebounds, UK won the board battle 40-28.
- Calipari has a 677-189 (.782) on-court record, including a 232-49 (.826) mark at UK.
- Kentucky has an all-time mark of 555-65 (.895) in Rupp Arena.
- UK is 128-5 (.962) at Rupp Arena under John Calipari.
- UK has a 43-game home winning streak against unranked opponents.