clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Derek Willis arrest update; More unfavorable details emerging

Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

As you've probably heard by now, Kentucky Wildcats forward Derek Willis was arrested on Saturday for public intoxication in Northern Kentucky.

For anyone knows what PI is and how little it can take to be arrested for this, the original hope was that this was just a small incident in which Willis didn't do anything egregiously wrong.

Well, it's looking worse and worse for Willis as more details continue to come out. As Jon Hale of The Courier-Journal writes, Willis was so intoxicated Saturday that he was found laying in the street by police.

According to the arrest citation provided by the Boone County Sheriff’s Department, a deputy was dispatched to Mountain Laurel Way in Union, Ky., because of a possible drunk subject "laying in the middle of the street." The deputy arrived to find Willis on the ground outside the open driver’s side door of a vehicle and reported a "strong odor of associated with alcohol" coming from the inside of the vehicle and Willis.

The deputy reported Willis said he had "a lot" to drink and could not advise where he was other to say in "northern Kentucky" after being woken up. The citation reports Willis had extremely slurred speech, was unsteady on his feet and "was a danger to himself and others."

Hale also notes that a UK spokeswoman confirmed the arrest Sunday night and that the school was still gathering information about the incident, and would have no further comment at this time.

This is a really bad look for a guy who is supposed to be a senior leader on next year's team, which figured to open the regular season as the No. 2 or 3 team in the nation and a strong Final Four contender.

But now, Willis is probably going to spend the entire offseason and maybe the early regular season in John Calipari's doghouse. It's also possible Willis is suspended for a game or two, similar to what happened with Makayla Epps last offseason.