Kentucky's Quarterback of the future, Mac Jones took part in the 2016 Rivals challenge and came away with the overall top honors.
Jones was recently upgraded to a 4-star prospect and received an offer from Alabama. With this newest accolade, Jones will only elevate his status as an elite QB and draw even more attention.
Jones is shaping up to be a Drew Barker-esque recruit that could be the centerpiece of a strong class that could be the bridge from rebuilding to contending.
TWEETS OF THE WEEKEND
Trae Young slapped the floor on defense. Sorry, UK fans, he's apparently going to Duke.— Kyle Tucker (@KyleTucker_CJ) April 24, 2016
Must be frustrating for all these other schools waiting on UK and Duke to divvy up the top 20 kids from the class of 2017.— Scott Charlton (@Scott_Charlton) April 23, 2016
YOUR WILDCAT QUICKIES
- The News of UK Basketball having a perfect APR (Academic Progress Rate) comes along with the news that all 22 of UK's athletic teams have surpassed the cutoff score to avoid any kind of consequences.
- Kentucky Softball player Kelsey Nunley became the most tenured Wildcat ever by pitching her 900th inning this weekend. She is only the 9th player in the conference to reach the milestone.
- The Kentucky Baseball team has some guys on the mound absolutely rocking it lately, but the bats are not keeping up their end of the bargain. Kentucky has been able to avoid back to back sweeps, but only by the hair of their chins,including a walk-off, bottom of the 9th with two outs win over Arkansas.
Cats' starters have a 1.69 ERA in their last five SEC games. UK is 1-4 in those.— Jeff Drummond (@JDrumUK) April 23, 2016
- The Lexington Herald Leader posed the question asking if Tyler Ulis was worthy of having his jersey retired when the time came. I am not sure it should even be a question honestly, he should be a no-brainer. I get that their may not have been the success as some, but he transcends that and should be in the rafters.
- Two of the top recruits in all of America are talking about a possible 'package deal' for the two of them. Both hold UK offers and both have noted UK interest. It would be a helluva duo with point guard Trae Young and MKG-esque Michal Porter Jr. Package deals rarely pan out as such, but it is always entertaining and with Calipari involved it is never something out of the question.
- Coaches Eddie Gran and Darin Hinshaw are looking to vastly improve the UK offense this fall. One way they plan to do that is by playing WRs at various positions to fit their skill set and/or the matchups. It would seem a no-brainer, but for some reason a lot of coaches who have come through here seem to stick a player in a spot and they perform or they do not.
- Kentucky football has offered a high school freshman a scholarship, the early attention and offer paid off for Landon Young, and the staff is hoping 6'4" 260 lb Bryan Hudson will be the next in that mold.
- Gary Trent Jr. is another top recruit that is considering Kentucky and he has labeled UK to be "The NBA University.
- UK Athletics did something really cool for a girl and her mom who is dying of cancer. The school allowed her to swim in a UK intrasquad scrimmage for her mom to be able to see her daughter compete at the collegiate level. Madison is technically still in high school so the circumstances were quite extenuated, kudus to UK athletics for making it happen.
- Devin Booker is not just one of the most impressive rookies in the NBA, he is apparently good at the plate too. He won a homerun derby at Larry Fitzgerald's celebrity softball homerun derby this weekend.
YOUR NON-WILDCAT QUICKIES
- You may not like the Tennessee Vols... I do not, but this story involving the UT QB Josh Dobbs is awesome. a 5-year old boy with an inoperable brain tumor had his room painted and renovated with the help of Dobbs and a local company.
- Who is going to be DeMarcus Cousins next coach, nobody knows as of yet but the next coach needs to be open and honest with the enigmatic big man.
- Lane Kiffin has no problem trolling the Vols fans, and decided to do so this past Friday.
- The Golden State Warriors march to a title seemed all but a foregone conclusion. That might be in flux at this point as superstar Steph Curry left yesterday's win with a knee injury and has an MRI set.
- This piece by Wright Thompson on the secret life of Tiger Woods is fantastic, albeit lengthy. Well worth the time though.
- Watch Draymond Green just destroy a reporter for trying to goad him into talking junk about the floods in Houston.
- Check out this bowler's cocky move on a lone pin spare.
- Jermaine Marshall used to play for Arizona State, he is now playing overseas and he unintentionally helped his team lose a game by scoring on the wrong basket.
- Watch Yasiel Puig with an absolutely ridiculous hose of a frozen rope throw from right field to third base on a line. It is simply staggering.
- Sports Illustrated's #1 NFL draft prospect is Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey.
- The Dallas Cowboys will be moving to a 100% digital war room for all future NFL drafts. The new war room and technological dynamo is going to be part of a $1 BILLION office and training facility.
- Who was your team's greatest draft pick of all time, Sports Illustrated took a stab at picking it for each team in the league
- Below is where the NBA playoffs stand (not included is last nights Cavs result).
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
In Honor of Prince, the random quickies will be all about the man.
- My top 5 Prince Songs
- Purple Rain
- Let's Go Crazy
- When Doves Cry
Mischer: "I want you to know it's raining."
Prince: "Yes, it's raining."
Mischer: "Are you okay?"
Prince: "Can you make it rain harder?"
- If you have not seen the skit from 'Chappelle's show' of Charlie Murphy telling the story of him and his brother (Eddie Murphy) being invited back to Prince's house for basketball and pancakes, do yourself a favor and set aside 6 minutes and watch this.
- Bruce Springsteen decided to open his first show after Prince's death with his rendition of Purple Rain in Brooklyn.
- Kevin Smith was at Kent State University one day as a speaker and was asked about a 'documentary' he had shot for Prince that would likely never see the light of day. Smith turned it into a riveting 30 minute story about the event and I had no desire to spend that time watching... but it sucked me in. Check it out.
- Here are 53 facts about Prince you likely did not know about.
- Here are 24 short stories (with links to the longer versions) about Prince that are odd, cool, weird... essentially Prince.
- Finally, raise your hand if you think your drivers license/passport photo portrays you in a positive light? (crickets, no hands raised) Now look at Prince's passport picture, because of course.