Keeping up with recruiting can be frustrating. Fickle teenagers, public misinformation, ambiguity, all contribute to the "fog of recruiting". It can be rather obvious where a national-level talent will go to school. They are going to "Major Program X", commence yelling across the interwebs. And sometimes the situation builds to a crescendo with each fanbase thinking they are going to land a major player.
What is Marques Bolden thinking today, for example. It's unclear when he's announcing evidence being sparse. Tonight the Jordan Brand Classic takes place in NYC and BBN supporters will be looking for a sign to finish this signing class with one last piece of talent.
Tweet of the Morning
Good morning at #Kentucky.. Impressed by Cats young talent. Mark Stoops has upgraded the speed & got some studs in the secondary.— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) April 14, 2016
We figured the secondary would be a strength for this team for the next three seasons.
Jordan Brand ramped up practices this year. More competitive. Not your typical all-star fluff. Mixing in scrimmages.— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) April 14, 2016
Nice. Maybe the game will be worth checking out.
- Spring game aspirations, per KSR. Here's my key: the one's should take care of business against the two's despite vanilla play-calling on both sides of the ball. Then, no one get hurt. Enjoy the game if you make it to CWS tomorrow.
- I'm liking the new receivers coach. Were UofL fans actually happy to see him go, or can we chalk up their reaction to typical fan rationalizing?
- Matt Elam is beginning to recognize his potential. Elam was a victim of his own hype coming out of high school. Alabama taking an interest elevated his status, but 'Bama intended him to develop over two to three years while UK was forced to play him early. That fact gets forgotten.
- Boom is back on track. Boom was 8th in the SEC in rushing last season despite only playing in 10 games, and only ranking 12th in average carries per game. He had an impressive sophomore season.
- Cal has some advice for Tubby for his new job. Meanwhile, Mark Story writes Tubby is "both big winner and big loser" in this year's coaching carousel. I'm sure some historical records will be appearing in the comment section in 3...2...1...
- Marques Bolden's recruitment is very close between UK and Duke. A decision should be coming soon, I'd imagine.
- Evan Daniels is high on Wenyen Gabriel, per the H-L.
Other Kentucky sports
- UK Gymnastics will be represented at the national championships for the third straight year.
- The baseball team has to rebound for their mid-week loss to UofL quickly, because they are going on the road to face fourth-ranked Vandy.
- Kelsey Nunley and Christian Stokes were drafted in the NPF. The team hosts Mizzou this weekend.
- UofL signed Bobby Petrino to a big contract extension yesterday. It was a smart move locking him down prior to the upcoming season when UofL is poised to win 9-11 games, and Petrino will get looks from major powers.
- Can Kirby Smart win a SEC title at Georgia?
- Explaining college football's recruiting calendar. Informative stuff as always by Bud Elliot.
- Team Speed Kills announced new management this week. Expect SB Nation's SEC website to have an increased focus on college basketball next season.
- Here's a full round-up of underclassmen going pro.
Other sports news
- Expect to start seeing advertising on NBA uniforms. That was a lot of money being left on the table.
- The LA Rams and Tennessee Titans made major news with their draft pick trades yesterday. The move was widely seen as a boon for the Titans, but there's reason the Rams may have had no choice
- The NFL released their 2016 schedule.
- More impressive: Stephen Curry's 402 three pointers in one season, or Kobe Bryant's 60 points to end his career? Hint: it's the former.
- Crazy Europa League finish yesterday.
- The latest Johnny Football news.
- Kobe's sneaker legacy.
- A Swedish video game is teaching an entire generation of American children early lessons about logic, coding, creativity, and resiliency in the face of setbacks.
- An octopus raised it's middle tentacle towards The Man, and made a break for sweet freedom. These are awesome animals.
- An exotic sea snail is traded for Chinese crystal meth, "The Abalone Poacher." Great read.