The Masters at Augusta is a tradition unlike any other in the golfing world. It also offers a pleasant change of pace for any sports fan as College Basketball recently ended and there are fewer things better than a lazy, sunny Sunday watching the final round of The Masters.
Youth is beginning to rule the game and the final pairing of the tournament is a microcosm of that. The reigning champ, Jordan Spieth, was paired with Smylie Kaufman. Spieth is 22 years old, and Kaufman is 24 years old, that's a combined 46 years of being alive between the two.
To take it a step further, Kaufman is playing in his very first Masters, so how did he prepare for Augusta you wonder. He played the course on Tiger Woods video game thousands of times, of course.
The winner of this year's Masters and taking home a green jacket was Danny Willett. Jordan Spieth appeared to be running away with the final round when he was up by FIVE shots at -7 following FOUR straight birdies. However, inexplicably, he went bogey, bogey, and then quadruple bogey on 10, 11, and 12.
This opened up the door for the Englishman to win his first Masters. The greatest part of Willett's win is that he should not have even been playing. The earlier than expected birth of his son opened up the door for Willett to participate. He had already made the decision to miss the Masters if his kid would have not been born before the tournament.
The shot of the tournament was easily the hole-in-one by Louis Oosthuizen on number 16. He played an inadvertent bank shot off another ball for the Ace.
Earlier this year, Sportscenter did a top 10 Masters only segment. There is also a top-10 shots in Masters history video. Check it out below for your entertainment.
TWEETS OF THE WEEKEND
Cal got Murray to reclassify and now is a top 10 pick. K got Thornton to reclassify and now is throwing him away. Which coach is the slime?— Mrs Basketball (@therealj_jones) April 10, 2016
.@DevinBook (19y, 162d today) has scored his 1,000th career point. LeBron, Kobe & Durant are the only players to reach 1,000 points younger.— Suns Basketball Comm (@SunsBballComm) April 9, 2016
Three players have already homered in their major league debut this season: Trevor Story, Kenta Maeda and now Nomar Mazara today.— Mitch Goldich (@mitchgoldich) April 10, 2016
Derryck Thornton leaving Duke to make room for Marques Bolden. Can't wait to not read all the articles about how selfish Coach K is.— Not Jerry Tipton (@NotJerryTipton) April 10, 2016
YOUR WILDCATS QUICKIES
- The Shannon Dawson experience was a long and dreadful season for UK fans, but there could be a big payoff for Big Blue Nation in UK Commit Mac Jones. Jones was recently bumped to a 4-star recruit and now he has an offer from the Kentucky of Football, Alabama. Anytime Nick Saban comes around sniffing, it is trouble, but recruiting guru Patrick Loney chatted with Jones recently and he is still solid to UK
- The Baseball version of the Wildcats had a series victory assured over Alabama coming into Sunday's game. The Wildcats had won Saturday's game on a walk-off grand slam, and Neil Price had the call on it here, do not miss out on it. The 'Cats were unable to finalize the sweep on Sunday, but will walk away with their 4th consecutive SEC series win.
- Kentucky Football is losing a lineman; Jarrett LaRubio is leaving Kentucky to go to the Miami Redhawks program. Anytime you lose depth at the OL unit, it stings, but LaRubbio had struggled to make any progress up the depth chart as he only played in one game last season as a RS Freshman.
- Kentucky Sports Radio's Matt Jones thinks Kentucky Basketball's first 2017 commitment could come from a player who has been a big Wildcats fan for years now. Five-Star small forward John Petty has been a Kentucky fan since he was 9 years old and now could see the chance to play for the 'Cats come to fruition. Petty is a 6'7" small forward from Alabama and is ranked as the #16 overall player in the class.
- The ladies of the diamond took the field last night for the rubber match against top-10 foe LSU. They took down the Bayou Bengals 3-0 and clinches a series win for the #15 'Cats. Meagan Prince went the distance on the mound for the complete game shutout.
- Karl-Anthony Towns is going to be in rarified air soon, he is going to join a list of Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Chris Paul. Towns is going to finish his likely rookie of the year campaign with having a PER of over 22.0.
YOUR NON-WILDCAT QUICKIES
- In what has to be the weirdest Twitter friendship, rapper Lil Wayne and 66-year old golfer Tom Watson appear to have made social media fast friends. 'Lil Wayne' tweeted that he gave Watson a standing ovation in his living room and Watson responded he would give him a standing O at one of his shows.
- Duke is losing a prized recruit from last year's class in Derryck Thornton. The 6'2" freshman has decided to leave Duke and move on. Thornton is a player that Coach K and Duke pushed to reclassify and essentially skip his senior year to come to Durham. The move opens up the door for UK target Marques Bolden and Coach K and crew are coming under heavy scrutiny for the move. Thornton's purported uncle, Mark Edwards took to Twitter to call Duke and Coach K to the rug.
- Former New Orleans Saints Defensive End Will Smith was brutally killed when he was involved in a traffic accident and a fit of road rage saw a man pull out a gun and kill Smith, and wound his wife. Just a tragic story.
- Johnny Manziel continues to try and get his life under control in his bid to find a suitor for his talents. He has decided to move in with Von Miller as a way to have some accountability in his life.
- This is a pretty crazy story about a lady who cheated to win triathlons and eventually qualified for the World Finals in the sport. A few curious competitors started piecing together an intricate deception and she was ultimately disqualified and barred.
- This is a pretty funny commercial for Apple TV with Kobe Bryant. He is discussing a role with actor Michael B. Jordan (played Apollo Creed's son) as he plays the role of Kobe, and his age comes into play.
- The Golden State Warriors are 72-9 on the season after taking down the San Antonio Spurs. They have one game left vs. the Memphis Grizzlies. If they win that game, they will finish 73-9 and break the 95-96 Bulls NBA record of 72-10.
- There is some scuttlebutt that Phil Jackson wants out of New York and is eyeing a familiar destination in Los Angeles.
- On Saturday, a fan dropped a nice little bomb on Bubba Watson when he decided to comment on the fan being too close his ball, in fairness to Watson, he had a strong retort also:
Watson, who also declined to talk to the media Saturday, had some fun with the spectators, too. After slicing his drive into the woods on No. 10, Watson asked a patron to give him some room.
"Can you back up, you're really not supposed to be back here," he said.
"Neither is your ball," the fan said.
"I don't know about you, but I have two green jackets," said Watson, before he pitched back into the fairway. "Thanks for coming."
- Colorado Rockies rookie Shortstop Trevor Story has made history by being the first rookie in to homer in his first four games.
- The Philadelphia 76ers have named Bryan Colangelo director of Basketball Operations. I know one Sixers fan, our own Bradley Martinez, is not happy about this at all.
- Don't look now, but the Cincinnati Reds (who I am a big fan of) are not supposed to be good, yet they are trying to change the narrative. The Reds are in a rebuilding year, but they are 5-1 and should be 6-0. The Reds have five regulars above .300 and one of them is not Joey Votto, yet. The cruel, but fair, thing about baseball is over 162 games you become promoted or exposed. So, I will reserve my full judgement until around July, but it is a fun ride so far and Reds fans need to enjoy it while it lasts.
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- My Top 5 appointment viewing Olympic Events
- Track & Field (sprint events)
- If you got sucked into the TV series 'The People vs. O.J.', you should be excited for ESPN's 'OJ: Made in America' 30-for-30 that is coming out in June. The guys at 30-for-30 always kill it and this trailer has me excited about this one too.
- The people at 'Game of Thrones' have revealed one sure thing about Jon Snow... he is certainly dead. It is yet to be determined if that means he is off the show completely. He is likely not as his own comments indicate, nonetheless, we are getting closer and closer to the GOT season and I am pumped.
- The folks at Disney are doing something pretty awesome with their rejuvenated Star Wars movies, they are going to release spinoff movies every other year. The spinoffs will fill in holes of other major events during the Star Wars series. The first release, 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story', talks of stealing the plans for the deathstar.
- A Starbucks barista decided it would be funny to take a patron's cup and instead of write their name on it, they wrote "Diabetes, here I come." I really do not understand the reasoning or goal behind it, people are dumb.
- A couple of outstanding citizens in Brazil decided to rob a bank, they thought they had a foolproof plan but they were waaaaaaaaay too much of fools themselves, apparently. They thought if they covered theirselves in aluminum foil that the bank alarms would not detect them.
- Have you ever wondered what is inside of the rattle from a rattlesnake, me neither, but check it out here if you want, pro tip - fast forward to 3:30 if you do.
- Here are some pretty cool parenting hacks that you may one day find useful.