The Baseball Diamond version of the Kentucky Wildcats are playing solid baseball and are on the verge of cracking the top 25. They had lost #1 Florida on Friday by the score of 12-5, however, they came back on Saturday with a big 7-4 win (snapping a 17 game win streak) over the #1 ranked Gators; setting up a Sunday rubbermatch finale to finish the series.
The Wildcats were down by three runs going into the 6th inning and facing Florida's ace, Alex Faedo. Kentucky would score two in the 6th and another in the 7th to force extra innings.
All looked lost when shortstop Riley Mahan committed two errors in the 10th, ultimately allowing Florida to score a run and take the lead... however, Mahan would get a chance at redemption.
In a one ball and two strike hole, Mahan took a fastball deep over the right field wall to tie the game back up. In the same inning Kentucky would load the bases and see a wild pitch allow them to scamper home for a walk-off victory in dramatic fashion. The 'Cats are now 17-6 and 4-2 in conference play.
TWEETS OF THE WEEKEND
UofL fans during football season: "It's dumb to brag about what conference you're in."— Not Jerry Tipton (@NotJerryTipton) March 27, 2016
UofL fans today: "ACC! ACC! ACC!"
Something that would've sounded insane 15 years ago: Notre Dame and Butler have each been to 2 Elite 8s since IU or Purdue's last Elite 8.— Mark Titus (@clubtrillion) March 27, 2016
So, Coach K dogs a kid, Lies about it, Half-Ass apologizes & ... It's All Good??!— Samuel L. Jackson (@SamuelLJackson) March 26, 2016
Lots of chalk in the NCAA Tournament. The poor students at Emory University must be terrified.— SportsPickle (@sportspickle) March 26, 2016
I don't know about y'all but sometimes I just sit and scroll through @GoodmanESPN tweets— De'Aaron Fox (@Swipathef0x) March 26, 2016
UK OC Eddie Gran: That’s why this is a team sport. If they want to play golf or something like that, then they can go be an individual."— Vaughts' Views (@vaughtsviews) March 25, 2016
Bruh... pic.twitter.com/hm3yZuF2Wm— Frankie Hammond Jr (@FHammond85) March 27, 2016
"We're gonna scour the record books and see if we can find another obscure national title we can claim." pic.twitter.com/aPcw7za0FT— Scott Charlton (@Scott_Charlton) March 27, 2016
Jack Kennedy (@KenJac17) March 27, 2016
YOUR WILDCAT QUICKIES
- Mark Stoops and the crew got a significant yahtzee yesterday when 4-star receiver Javonte Richardson committed to the program. Richardson is 6'4" and is considered one of the top WRs in the country and Rivals goes as far as ranking him as a top-100 PLAYER in the country. He holds an offer from Michigan currently and will likely get one from Ohio State. Check out more at our ASOB piece from yesterday here.
Yahtzee.— CoachMarrowUK (@vincemarrow) March 27, 2016
- The Football team had an open practice/scrimmage on Saturday and the vibes and feedback from everyone were positive. Check out the video rundown here. Also Jen Smith at the Herald Leader has a pretty solid rundown of the day here, as well as Jon Hale of the Courier Journal here. Below are the cliffs notes version:
- Drew Barker is the starter, but Stephen Johnson is impressive and will push him for the job
- Mikel Horton looks really good
- The Secondary is the defensive strength by far
- C.J. Conrad is going to be used, used a lot, and will be a big time mismatch in our favor
- Courtney Love is a leader
- Lamar Thomas is a shot in the arm for the Wide Receivers Corps
- The #12 ranked ladies of the diamond finished of a sweep of Arkansas this weekend, winning 12-4 behind the long ball. 6 of the 12 runs came via HomeRun.
- is De'Aaron Fox spilling the beans on Marques Bolden? They are together this week at the McDonalds All-American game and he shot this out there. Chances are is less spilling the beans and more him recruiting Bolden, which is just fine.
Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) March 28, 2016
- Former 'Cat Julius Randle notched his first career triple-double over the weekend, going for 13 points, 18 rebounds, and 10 assists.
- Another former 'Cat, Willie Cauley-Stein had a helluva game this weekend also, going for 26 points on 19 shots.
"I ain't put 19 shots up in my whole life so that was cool," Cauley-Stein said. "That was different but I like that though."
YOUR NON-WILDCAT QUICKIES
- The Final Four is set, and it is going to be Villanova vs. Oklahoma on one side and North Carolina vs. Syracuse on the other side. Congratulations to the NCAA for getting to watch two of the biggest fraudulent athletic programs representing them this coming weekend. My choice: whoever wins the game between Villanova or Oklahoma.
- Bill Self has once again fallen short in the NCAA tournament. Self has won the Big 12 for 12 straight years now, yet in his 13 years in Lawrence he has only gotten to the final four on two occasions. Self has also lost to lower seeds notoriously, yet the national media will carry his water for him.
Last eight years, Kansas has been a 3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2 and 1 seed. One Final Four. That Big 12 title streak is amazing, but ...— Kyle Tucker (@KyleTucker_CJ) March 27, 2016
Bill Self joins Coach K for having the most losses in the NCAA Tournament as a higher seed since 2004 with 9.— Kentucky! #BBN (@UKBasketbalI) March 27, 2016
Bill Self has lost to a lower seeded team 9 out of his 13 yrs at KU.— Scott Charlton (@Scott_Charlton) March 27, 2016
- The UCONN Women lost in March of 2013 to Notre Dame... since that loss, the Lady Huskies have went 119-1. That is not a type, 119 wins in 120 games. That is an amazing stat that needs to get much more national play.
- Kevin Stallings is no longer in the SEC, if you do not like complaining and whining, this is a great move for you. Stallings is going to be the coach of PITT, in the ACC. I cannot even imagine the whining that will result from being in the same conference as Duke, UNC, UL.
- Sports Illustrated ranks the starting NFL QBs 1 through 32.
- Jeffrey Simmons is a top-20 recruit and is going to Mississippi State. He was seen on video repeatedly hitting a woman. He has publicly apologized, but damn, not sure it should mean a whole lot.
- Kevin Harlan called the Syracuse Virginia game and with the final call, he decided to go with "back from the dead on Easter Sunday"
- Cincinnati Reds star Joey Votto has made a splash the last few days with some funny antics. First he decided to mimic the LeBron James chalk clap, and yesterday he had an unusual pre-pitch routine that will make the 13 year old in you chuckle.
- Is Johnny Football (Johnny Free Agent?) back in Vegas hanging out while he is hoping a team signs him?
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- My Top 5 TV Shows of All-Time
- Breaking Bad
- The Walking Dead
- House M.D.
- Do you know wha a Burgerizza is? Well, you can go to a Braves baseball game and spend $26 to get this monstrosity. It is a giant 20-oz burger with two pizzas as buns.
- I have no idea who this is, but he is playing golf with another guy, one guy is fussing about how far away his putt is. So, of course, he walks down, drops a ball and nails a 50+ foot putt to show him how easy it is, lol.
- I have never seen a driver get caught up in some power lines, I did not know the physics were possible to be able to drive UP into power lines could happen. But apparently, you can.
- Batman vs. Superman has broken some records, I know I planned to check it out on Friday at the 2:30 matinee and it was sold out.