15th-ranked UK Hoops finished off their 2015-16 home schedule with a bang, beating the 24th-ranked Missouri Tigers 69-59.
Janee Thompson finished with a career-high 24 points and three assists to give the Cats their 100th victory during her time in Lexington. She ended her final game at Memorial Coliseum in style, scoring 12 of Kentucky’s first 14 points of the fourth quarter and assisting on the other basket to rally UK from a 1-point deficit to a 10-point win.
Here are the highlights of the big win, courtesy of Kentucky Wildcats TV:
And here are the postgame notes, courtesy of UK Athletics:
- Kentucky extended its winning streak to five games with a 69-59 win over No. 24/24 Missouri.
- The meeting was just the sixth in the history of the two programs, moving UK to 5-1 in the all-time series. Kentucky is undefeated against Missouri since MU joined the SEC in 2012.
- With the win, UK moves to 20-6 on the season, including 9-6 in SEC play. Missouri drops to 21-7 (8-7 SEC).
- Kentucky has reached the 20-win plateau for seven consecutive seasons. It is also the seventh consecutive season that UK has won on Senior Night. UK is 31-10 all-time in its regular-season home finale.
- Matthew Mitchell is in his ninth season with Kentucky with the win moving him to 244-116 overall, including a 214-87 record while at Kentucky.
- Kentucky played in front of a crowd of 6,496, taking its regular-season average home attendance for 2015-16 to 6,900.
- Janee Thompson was honored pregame as the lone senior as part of Kentucky's Senior Night.
- Kentucky started with Batouly Camara, Thompson, Maci Morris, Evelyn Akhator and Makayla Epps for the sixth straight game. UK is 5-1 with this lineup.
- UK shot 40.0% on 26-of-65 shooting, while holding Missouri - who was average 43.8% from the field this season - to 19-of-50 for a .380 clip.
- Mizzou outrebounded the Wildcats, 36-32, but UK held the advantage in the paint, 32-26, and points off turnovers, 20-5.
- Kentucky moves to 5-2 against ranked opponents this year, with the only losses coming against No. 3/2 South Carolina.
- Kentucky committed a season-low seven turnovers, marking the fourth time in SEC play that the Wildcats have had 10 miscues or fewer. It is the first time since March 21, 2015 that Kentucky has had seven turnovers or less.
- Akhator scored the first six points of the game, contributing to the 14-6 advantage in the paint at the end of the first period.
- UK led 22-14 at the close of the first stanza, ending it on an 8-0 run.
- Kentucky extended the lead to 39-26 at the close of the second period, tying the SEC season high for points scored in the first half.
- The 22 points scored in the first period were the most in the opening quarter in SEC play this season.
- Kentucky shot 45.5% (15-of-33) in the first half, holding Missouri to 34.6% (9-of-26).
- Missouri used an 11-0 run late in the third period to swing the lead to 47-46 with2:00 remaining. It was just the fifth time this year that a team has gone on a run of 10+ points against the Wildcats.
- Mizzou retained the lead going into the final period with a 51-50 edge. MU outscored UK 25-11 in the third period. The 25 points were the most that UK has given up in the third period this season.
- UK took the lead again thanks to Thompson, who put up eight consecutive points for the Wildcats within a span of 1:44.
- Kentucky started the fourth period on a 12-2 run, not allowing a field goal until the 3:05 mark. Ten of those 12 points were by Thompson, while the other two points were on a Thompson assist.
- Janee Thompson scored a career-high 24 points and added three assists.
· Twelve of her points came in the fourth period alone to surge UK's comeback from a one-point deficit going into the closing stanza.
· Thompson was also a flawless 6-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Evelyn Akhator added 15 points and was just shy of a double-double, leading the team in rebounds with nine.
- Makayla Epps added 14 points and three assists.