- There is going to come a day when Tyler Ulis is not leading our Wildcats on the floor. That day could very well be coming soon, or it could be as long away as September 2019. While the chances of the latter are about the same as me being the coach to follow John Calipari at UK, a man can dream.
Tyler Ulis NEEDS to be in the National Player of the Year conversation. Dude is straight right now.— Jay Williams (@RealJayWilliams) February 13, 2016
Tyler Ulis has been absolutely outstanding this season, ever since he got over his arm injury he has been nothing short of a player of the year discussion candidate. Once Emmanuel Mudiay spurned the 'Cats for SMU/China, Tyler Ulis came into the fold and the sentiment among many was that Cal was signing a 4-year point guard to back up the John Walls of the world that Cal would be bringing in.
After some research on Ulis I fell in love with this kid, I had no doubt that not only would he be a great player, but that he would be special for UK. I not so humbly brag about writing this piece (before he even set foot on campus) on why the Big Blue Nation would LOVE Tyler Ulis and how he would be special.
Ulis is not only flourishing as a sophomore, he is likely headed to an NBA roster next fall and everyone in America is starting to take notice. Even the biggest troll not named Goodman on the planet is coming around.
Kentucky fans you officially have my approval as Ulis moves into my Top 5 Point Guards replacing Trimble..ur welcome as clearly I inspired— Dan Dakich (@dandakich) February 14, 2016
Ulis' season has somehow only topped each performance with every passing game, he had 27 points and 12 assists to go with only ONE turnover in the South Carolina pasting. So here are some of the records and mind-boggling stats that the 'Point God' has been producing:
Ulis has now dished out four or more assists in a school-record 18 straight games.— Kentucky Basketball (@KentuckyMBB) February 14, 2016
Ulis is currently averaging 6.7 assists. No player in school history has averaged that much in a single season w/a minimum of 100 assists.— Kentucky Basketball (@KentuckyMBB) February 14, 2016
Former UK great Cameron Mills also weighed in on Ulis' ridiculous assist to turnover ratio in a post on his website:
coaches ask for a 3:1 assist/TO ratio from their PG's, though few ever get it.
For example let's look at some Assist/TO ratio's of some other great Kentucky PG's.
Anthony Epps - 2.8/1
Kyle Macy - 2.4/1
Travis Ford - 1.7/1
Marquis Teague - 1.7/1
Ryan Harrow 1.7/1
Andrew Harrison - 1.7/1
Wayne Turner - 1.6/1
John Wall - 1.6/1
Brandon Knight - 1.2/1
Currently Tyler Ulis' A/TO ratio for this season is 3.5/1 and more amazingly, if you look at the list above, his career ratio is 3.45/1.
And In his last four games Tyler Ulis has 36 assists to just four turnovers.
That's a laughable 9/1 ratio.
That's truly ridiculous and I would have thought unattainable for more than one game let alone four.
There has been a lot of talk about where Tyler ranks in greatest PG's in Kentucky's history. Well, judging from this singular stat alone he's not only the best, it's not even close.
TWEET(S) OF THE WEEKEND
Dominique Hawkins (@Dhawk_25) February 13, 2016
I fully expect Kentucky to completely demoralize Tennessee this week— The Real Big Game (@Round_Daddy) February 14, 2016
Sorry Duke fans: Duke and Nike releasing a new brand: Air Grayson pic.twitter.com/C7f4WpIZY0— March Madness 2016 (@Madness2k16) February 14, 2016
UVA coach Tony Bennett on this postgame handshake exchange with K on Allen's winner. TB: "I think he traveled." K: "I think he got fouled."— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) February 13, 2016
YOUR WILDCATS QUICKIES
- Band of Brothers, that is the best way to describe the 'Cats that are no longer in Lexington and off turning heads all over the world. This was All-Star weekend and there were plenty of Kentucky players to go around. Karl-Anthony Towns, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, Devin Booker, and Anthony Davis participated in one way or another. The player hung out and sat together and supported each other as if they were still teammates.
- Karl-Anthony Towns took down Isaiah Thomas in dramatic fashion to win the Skills Challenge and was immediately mobbed by Cousins and Anthony Davis. The group also posed for this picture that is computer desktop worthy.
- Fair Warning, if you get emotional easily you may want to carve out 10 minutes in private to watch this video. Sportscenter put together a featured segment on John Wall and his relationship with 6-year old Miyah who passed away from Cancer in December of 2014. Wall made such an impact on her and she made an even greater impact on anyone she touched. It is a true honor for us members of BBN to have watched Wall in Lexington.
This is the first time over the last 51 seasons that Kentucky has held 8 consecutive SEC opponents to worse than 42% shooting from the field— Corey Price (@coreyp08) February 13, 2016
- The #18 Lady Softball 'Cats literally powered their way past #4 Oregon on the back of a grand slam and another Cowhide Joyride
- The also #18 UK Hoops team went to Nashville and handled the Lady Commodores 71-55 behind Alexis Jennings 18 points and 9 rebounds.
- Coach Cal says he got emotional watching the skills challenge and seeing his former players unite and pull for each other so much.
- www.kenpom.com is widely considered one of the most accurate predictors of team rankings in College Basketball. After Saturday the 'Cats are in the top 10 of KenPom rankings and getting dangerously close to the magical combination of offensive and defensive efficiency rating that every Champion the last 10+ years has held.
YOUR NON-WILDCAT QUICKIES
- Zach Levine may have taken the actual crown as the best dunker at this year's NBA dunk contest, but Aaron Gordon won the night. Check out his performance here and then pick up your jaw.
- Michael Jordan gave Kobe Bryant an amazing retirement gift. He gave him 30 pairs of size 14 Air Jordan shoes. #1 all the way up to the most recent release. I cannot even imagine the street/auction value.
- Former Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte is a free agent and likely to be one of the most coveted players of the off-season. Here is a look at some of the best potential fits for him...
- I am not sure that Diamond Stone of Maryland is going to get some kind of suspension for intentionally shoving a players head into the floor, but what is amazing is that nothing was done during the game.
- Do not look now, but Tubby Smith and Texas Tech are battling their way into a possible spot at the table this March.
- Florida State trolled Florida in fantastic fashion for Valentines Day.
- The Denver Broncos Von Miller just could not resist taking a shot at Cam Newton on Saturday Night Live.
- Michael Jordan would have no problem if the Golden State Warriors broke the Bulls 72-win record and he even told Klay Thompson to go out and do it.
- The U.S. Women's Soccer team is one step closer to making it to Rio for the Summer Olympics after handing our neighbors to the south, Mexico, a loss.
- So, who are the top 5 Quarterback prospects for the NFL Draft and who are the top 5 Running back prospects for the NFL draft. Check out the links to see what SI.com thinks.
- Alabama just got really scary on offense for the 2016 season (as if they needed help) by adding a graduate transfer from Bowling Green. 6'3" Gehrig Dieter is coming to Tuscaloosa fresh off a 94 catch, 1,000+ yard season. Put this guy along side Calvin Ridley and it might not be fair.
- College Spun has put together a very early prediction of wins for each Major College Football team for this coming season. So where do our Wildcats fit into that? They are saying we will win 6 games and finish 4th in the East ahead of Vandy, Missouri, and South Carolina. In case you were curious, they have UL with 8 wins.
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- THE WALKING DEAD HAS RETURNED!!! I will not spoil it in case you had to DVR it but good god almighty what a friggin episode I think I am permanently damaged!!!
- DeadPool opened at the box office this weekend and Ryan Reynolds and crew absolutely blew it out of the water to the tune of $135 Million in its debut. That was a record opening for an R-rated movie, beating out The Matrix Reloaded.
- It was a few years ago but it is just now being floated again, Justin Timberlake did some covers of old hip hop songs including 'Poison' by Bell Biv Devoe. There really is nothing this dude cannot do. I am not ashamed to admit I have a significant man-crush on the dude.
- Kanye West is claiming he is $53 Million Dollars in debt and he has floated the idea of Mark Zuckerberg coming to the rescue by investing in him. Good Grief what a guy.
- The Apple Watch is on sale for a $100 bucks off at select places and it does not look like an Apple Watch 2 is coming anytime so if you have been waiting on a price drop, here you go.
- It is about to be a good time for Television again, you have The Walking Dead back, you have Better Call Saul back tonight, Game of Thrones in a few months, etc.