I am a big fan of the NFL, I am not a big fan of the Pro Bowl. It has become an unwatched game of 2nd and 3rd tier NFL players that can boast about being a Pro Bowler (133 Pro Bowlers This Year, ha) no matter how undeserved.
We can start with the most obvious reason the Pro Bowl needs an ENTIRE overhaul, it is held one week before the Super Bowl. This means there is no representation from the two best teams in the league. Nor any significant representation from the losing teams in the NFC and AFC Championship.
It is also more real life fantasy football as they have decided to let former legends pick and coach the teams via draft. There are no kickoffs and defenses are limited in what they can do. It is a caricature and needs to be overhauled
I think if they changed it to the "Pickup Football Weekend Bowl" it would be better.
TWEET(S) OF THE WEEKEND
Calvin Johnson had Reggie Ball for a QB in college and had to play for the Lions. Football's been telling him to quit for years.— CREFLO $$$ HIGHWAY (@edsbs) January 31, 2016
TYLER ULIS!! Had to write it in big letters because ain't nothin small about him! #BBN.— Chris Hereford (@csherefo3) January 31, 2016
So many people want Cam Newton to have more class. How about we all just worry about ourselves and enjoy the energy he brings to the game!— IG: iiice_cold ⛄️ (@CoreyMillerYFN) January 28, 2016
Tim Floyd has gone from coaching the Bulls and Hornets to UTEP....— Brad Trill Stiene (@brad_theintern) January 31, 2016
Oh yes. @ThrowboyTees pic.twitter.com/ZTN6yfQDwQ— Not Jerry Tipton (@NotJerryTipton) January 31, 2016
YOUR WILDCAT QUICKIES
- OK folks, I get the frustration of the foul situation Saturday night. I 100% get being ticked off about it, but please stop blaming it on the refs, it sounds a lot like our little brother. Anytime you play an away game in a hostile territory there is a good chance the home team is going to get a favorable whistle. I know Kansas shot 47 free throws, and that is an absurd number. But let us not forget about 8-10 of those were due to intentional fouling/technical foul. We also shot 23 shots from beyond three, the one guy that did consistently drive (Briscoe) got to the line 12 times (only making 6).
- Again, I will reiterate, I am not saying we got a fair whistle, we did not, Kansas certainly got the home team treatment. However, you have to put yourself in positions to not allow referees to control the game like that and we did a poor job of that. We stopped taking it to the rim, we kept trying to block shots, and we kept getting fouls called on us for the same things. One of the best pieces of advice I got in my playing career in any sport was to realize that referees suck, in general, it is up to me to not allow them to play a role in my game.
- From a skill-set standpoint, John Wall and Tyler Ulis could not be further apart, but from a production standpoint at UK, they are eerily similar.
- The UK Hoops team was riding a high of beating the Tennessee Lady Vols in a thrilling game in Memorial Coliseum, but since then they have dropped consecutive games to Vanderbilt and Florida. Turnovers have been an issue for the ladies most of the season and have haunted them especially in losses.
- The Kentucky Rifle Team took down a pair of top-10 teams this weekend in #2 Murray State and #9 Memphis.
- Former 'Cat DeAndre Liggins has been chosen to participate in the D-League All-Star Game.
- Football Cat Drake Jackson is primed to be a leader in the clubhouse and has already shed any 'hype' he may have as a top recruit.
- National Signing Day is coming up on Wednesday and the 'Cats appear to not be expecting any bad surprises. A Sea Of Blue will have extensive coverage leading up to and through NSD.
YOUR NON-WILDCAT QUICKIES
- In WHAT THE WHAT news, Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions All-Pro Wide Receiver has apparently decided his football days are behind him. He told his family and a circle of friends that this season would be his last one before the 2015 season started. He even confided in Matthew Stafford during the season that this would be his last. He has now made it known to the coaches and seems to be firm in his decision. Megatron will be missed if this indeed holds true. Enjoy some of his more memorable moments below.
- Charles Woodson will be playing his final NFL game in the Pro Bowl and his cleats are special gold Jumpmancleats. I love them and kudos for Woodson for going out in style.
- We continue with the retired/retiring NFL Players theme with former Titans Running Back Eddie George. His new career venture is acting in the musical "Chicago" on Broadway.
- Check out these 10 surprising facts about the Super Bowl 50 matchup that you likely did not know about.
- Even the best players on the planet have brain farts. LeBron James wore the wrong shorts for a short period of time in a game recently.
- 9-year old Cade Spinello is battling cancer, he is a UCLA football fan. The Bruins and coach Jim Mora Jr. did something awesome and decided to have him sign a letter of intent to play for the Bruins.
- Great take by the USA Today breaking down the SEC/BIG 12 challenge showing the SEC is not as weak as previously thought. The Big12 one the challenge 7-3, but the SEC was two shots away from it being 5-5.
- Hall of Famer, Legend, GOAT... call him what you will, and all three are applicable, but Vin Scully has announced he will be calling his final games this fall at the end of September.
- The University of Baylor has some serious administrative issues. They are accused of not only mishandling rape and assault accusations but may have been actively ignoring them.
- National signing day has become a college football event over the past few years, and it is only getting stronger. Why recruiting is now more important than ever and come Wednesday, teams make or break their futures.
- We know that DeMarcus Cousins has been a monster this season, but he is flirting with having the highest usage rate of any big man in history. Usage Rate is a stastical way of calculating how much of your production consists of the teams total production. Not just points, but everything encompassed.
- It is a good thing that Cam Newton was not very interested in possibly being a tight end for Steve Spurrier or Mark Richt.
- Speaking of Cam, I really have no words for his choice of pants yesterday:
- If you are a fan of MLB like i USED to be, here are the 10 most surprising transactions of the off-season.
- UK fan and rapper, Drake, jumped onto a Toronto Raptors TV broadcast and did surprisingly well during the telecast.
- Johnny Manziel is in the news again, for his usual non-Football antics. He is involved in a police probe over an alleged incident with his girfriend. Yes, again... I am really tired of Manziel's antics and I think most people including the NFL are too. However, with each step he takes, he gets closer to realizing his dream of being a Dallas Cowboy.
- Southern Miss has hired a new Head Coach in Jay Hopson from Alcorn St. This is relevant for two reasons to UK fans: 1) it means no more Eddie Gran as a candidate scuttlebutt and 2) we open with Southern Miss this coming fall.
- For those that may think Professional Wrestling is still a real fight in the ring, you may wanna skip this part. The WWE is rather upset with Dwayne Johnson, A.K.A. The Rock, for going 'off-script' this past weekend.
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- If you happen to be lucky enough to be going to the Super Bowl this year, or even if you just live in the general area or will be in the general area, forget privacy. This year's Super Bowl Fifty has been deemed a SEAR 1 tier event, meaning the UTMOST security will be in place. That particular rating is usually assigned to Presidential Inaugurations. So, if you are gonna be in the area, there is a 100% chance you are going to be surveilled.
- Facebook has decided to ban all private gun sales on their site, as well as on Instagram. If you are not aware, there are a multitude of groups where people post pics of their guns and sell/trade with other people on Facebook. It is done on a local level so people meet up for the sale, but Facebook has decided no more. My first inclination was 'are you kidding me?' Mainly because I have purchased a few weapons that way (I have a concealed carry permit though). However, I understand them doing it, I am obviously pro-gun but I also want the process to deter nefarious people from circumventing background checks so I get it.
- If you have small kids, you likely are familiar with the McDonalds menu, and for a few weeks now they have cheese sticks on the menu. However, there seems to be a growing number of people ordering them and getting cheese-LESS sticks, lol.
- Who doesn't love a good 7-layer cheese dip... well, someone decided to take it a bit further and create a 7-layer steak sandwich, and it looks glorious.
- If you are a shark in the Seoul aquarium, you should avoid getting into a territorial rift, or you could get swallowed by a slightly bigger shark.
- Here are 10 upcoming video games for all three platforms that should be hits for 2016.
- Someone paid $1 Million for a simple portrait of a potato... this is not an onion article either, it really happened. I am in the wrong business.
- Remember the show "Whose Line is it Anyway' with Drew Carey and Wayne Brady, here are some of the funniest moments from the show.
- As you ready for this Sunday's Super Bowl and all the commercials, here is a recap of last year's funniest ads.
- Twitter is an awesome medium in a lot of ways, but it has some major flaws as well. The New Yorker is opining we may be witnessing the end of Twitter as a relevant social media platform. I think it is a stretch, but the author has some great points.