Today is what is know as 'Black Monday' in the NFL, it is the day when numerous coaches and/or GMs will be let go. The action already started with the dismissal of Chip Kelly as the Philadelphia head coach and there are rumblings of it being just the beginning.
Sports Illustrated has analyzed the current rumors and possible moves in this link... Below is the summary of what they see happening.
- Cleveland Browns: Mike Pettine is likely gone, with Chip Kelly as a candidate, GM Ray Farmer is also gone.
- Detroit Lions: They have a new GM, so who knows if Caldwell is safe
- Indianapolis Colts: Chuck Pagano is likely gone and the Colts have their sites set on Nick Saban, possibly Sean Payton
- Miami Dolphins: Head Coach job is already open AND they fired the GM as well
- New Orleans Saints: Payton is a possible TRADE candidate for other openings.
- New York Giants: Coughlin is expected to step down
- San Francisco 49ers: 1st year coach Jim Tomsula lead them to their first losing season since 2010 and is likely to be fired.
- Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones says Jason Garrett is safe.
TWEET(S) OF THE WEEKEND
With dunks like these, @JustMarcusLee is averaging 74.4 percent from the floor over the last seven games. pic.twitter.com/C8Az4ZmW4P— Kentucky Basketball (@KentuckyMBB) January 3, 2016
When you finally think you have life figured out... https://t.co/zz6AMTfoBH— Sports Comedy (@SportsComedy_) January 3, 2016
Love of the game isn't measured in seconds or inches jumped.— Freddie Maggard (@FredMaggard) January 3, 2016
I was worried this shot wouldn't come out right with all the bodies, but here's Cal during big run in 1st half... pic.twitter.com/1IXKA5Mcv1— Jeff Drummond (@JDrumUK) January 3, 2016
YOUR WILDCATS QUICKIES
- The #7 UK Hoops team went to Auburn and took their first loss of the season, 66-61. The ladies played from behind for a large portion of the game and shot just 39% and committing 26 turnovers.
- That whole thing about UK recruit Kobe Smith decommitting and likely heading to South Carolina? Yeah, we were just kidding about that apparently? He has signed his UK early enrollee papers, but not South Carolina. He still may NOT be coming to UK though, he has not decided.
Former #Kentucky DT commit Kobe Smith has signed early enrollment papers (non-binding) with UK, not S. Car at this time. #Tenn not in mix.— Josh Edwards (@JEdwar247) January 3, 2016
Wouldn't tip his hat but he will show up and enroll on either the campus of #Kentucky or #SouthCarolina this week. https://t.co/V4NA8Ne25M— Josh Edwards (@JEdwar247) January 3, 2016
- Former UK WR Coach Tommy Mainord has landed at North Texas as the Inside WR Coach.
- Here is the roster for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, the game is on January 9th and will have three UK commits in Kash Daniel, Landon Young, and Drake Jackson.
- How good was Tyler Ulis on Saturday, he is the first player in program history to score 20 points, get 10 assists, and get 6 steals in a game.
- In case you missed it, here is Harlan, KY native Jordan Smith singing the national anthem at Rupp on Saturday.
- Andrew Cassady of KSR discusses who will be guarding LSU's Ben Simmons tomorrow night... he thinks Marcus Lee will be. Not sure why he thinks that but it is pretty clear that Alex Poythress will be manning him up, unless Calipari is taking the Adolph Rupp vs. Pete Maravich approach.
- Andy Kennedy on Tyler Ulis: "I Think He's the best point guard in college basketball."
- Skal Labissierre took a small step forward on Saturday and I think we are going to see some exponential growth on Skal as a pick and pop player. I do not think we are likely to see him become Dennis Rodman, but I think we could/should see him scoring 10+ per game.
YOUR NON-UK QUICKIES
- With the NFL season wrapping up yesterday, here is where the playoff picture stands according to NFL.com
- UK players dominated the Suns-Kings game with DeMarcus Cousins scoring 32/9 boards, Brandon Knight with 23 pionts, 5 rebounds and 5 assists, Rajon Rondo with 15 points, 15 assists, and 6 rebounds. Willie Cauley-Stein back in action with 4 points and 5 boards in just 5 minutes, Devin Booker with a career high 21 points, to go with 3 assists, and 4 steals.
- Brian Kalchick of Rant Sports listed the 15 top One-and-Done players in college basketball. Towns (#14), Cousins (#7), Wall (#5), and Anth Davis (#3) made his list. His #1 was Carmelo Anthony and #2 was Kevin Durant
- Here is a list of some NFL Players who had a lot of incentive bonuses riding on week 17 performances. The toughest hit was Sean Lee of Dallas, he had a $2 million salary escalator in is contract for playing more than 80% of the snaps all year. He was at 82% coming into Sunday... and missed the game, dropping him below 80%, ouch.
- Bobby Hurley was ejected from the game vs. Arizona, he certainly got his money's worth too.
Bobby Hurley was ejected from ASU's game vs. Arizona for, uh, disagreeing with a call. Sun Devils fans loved it: https://t.co/wWYeR0WHOq— ESPN (@espn) January 4, 2016
- When it comes to fan bases in the NFL, you would be hard pressed to find a fan base crazier than the 'Bills Mafia'. I will not go through the list, but they have done some reprehensible things out in the parking lot/tailgate area. Sunday was no different, they took a folding table and lit it on fire, then a fan jumped on the fire and broke the table and set himself on fire.
- Before yesterday the most points scored in a half in Chicago Bulls history was 39 by the greatest to lace them up, Michael Jordan. Now that mark is 40 points in a half by Jimmy Butler, yowza
- What in the heck happened to Peyton Manning's forehead... was it hiding under that hair back in colllege?
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- Every new year brings the 'best of the best' lists... well here is the ultimate best of the best of list that encompasses them all. Clear as mud, I know.
- Every year technology takes leaps forward and this year was no different, here is an article discussing the science fiction that turned into non-fiction in 2015.
- A couple of Australian surfers have come up with a bucket that could help clean the ocean of trash and oil. It is small now, but if it achieves scale, it could be a game changer. Imagine a pool skimmer for the entire ocean.
- The state of Hawaii has decided to raise the smoking age to 21, the first state in America to do so.
- Here are some of 2015's strangest medical mysteries.