it is time for the annual tradition of the first real snow of the year being forecast, and people going out and stocking up for the pending winter freeze that will keep them trapped in their homes for weeks on end. Just a bit of hyperbole there, but it is funny to see the city's lose their mind in preparation.
I am in Knoxville and they are forecasting 1-2 inches, not feet, inches. The county schools and surrounding counties have already called off school.
TWEETS OF THE NIGHT
Also, I was 'kindly' just made aware that Auburn lost to Missouri, but Okie State lost to Missouri State. So yeah. That kinda year.— Jason Marcum (@marcum89) January 20, 2016
Been poring over Kentucky's stats from this season and here is one that really jumps out: 13 wins: 28.1% 3PFG DEF 4 losses: 46.3% 3PFG DEF— Chris Fisher (@ChrisFisher247) January 20, 2016
Kroger employee just greeted me with: "Welcome to the Hunger Games." #louweather— Eric Crawford (@ericcrawford) January 20, 2016
YOUR WILDCAT QUICKIES
- Kentucky Football has announced two more mid-year enrollees in Quarterback Stephen Johnson II, and Defensive Tackle Naquez Pringle. Nearly every single player enrolling early is going to be a significant contributor. I plan to write more about this later, but I think Johnson may end up being our starting Quarterback.
- Senior Alex Poythress has been named one of 30 finalists for the Senior CLASS award. The award is an all encompassing honor for senior athletes who stayed in school to graduate and used their platform for a positive community impact.
- Future Kentucky Linebacker Kash Daniel has been upgraded to a 4-star recruit by Rivals, this on the heels of Landon Young being upgraded to a 5-star.
- Devin Booker hit 6 three-pointers and had a career high 32 points last night in a losing effort. Booker is really coming into his own and he's only 19 years old. What a ceiling.
- College Football Hall of Famer, and Kentucky Wildcat, Lou Michaels has passed away at the age of 80. Michaels was a fantastic Tackle for UK beginning in 1954. Michaels was all-conference, an All-America, and an All-Pro in the NFL.
- Matt Jones of KSR got into a sort of sparring match with Paul Finebaum yesterday, check out the breakdown here.
- Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist has been cleared for full contact practice. He will be joining the Hornets at a time when they very much need him. They have lost 8 of their last 10 but are still in playoff contention.
YOUR NON-UK QUICKIES
- ESPN is continuing their all-time ranking by going with the top 10 Centers of all-time. Spoiler alert, Wilt Chamberlain is NOT the #1... which is surprising.
- Former Pittsburgh Steeler Antwan Randle El has come out and said he regrets playing Football due to the day to day struggles the 36 year old has. He said if he could do it again, he would choose Baseball.
- There really is no dominant team in College Basketball, March Madness could truly be madness this season. The former #1 Kansas Jayhawks got DOMINATED by a barely .500 Oklahoma State team yesterday. Losing by 19.
- ESPN has updated their top 100 recruits for next season and UK has 3 of the top 8 and 4 of the top 15
- Some funny NHL stories of players who have been fined or put in Kangaroo court over the years.
- The Denver Broncos have essentially called Tom Brady a crybaby, not sure that is the bear that you want to poke guys.
- Pete Rose may never be in the MLB Hall of Fame, but he is being inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame. I do like the way Pete has apparently been signing baseballs lately.
Pete Rose has 4256 hits but zero chill pic.twitter.com/mr6V54udPq— Ballplayer Plus (@BallPlayerPlus) January 19, 2016
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- McDonalds has tweeted out a new concoction called McChoco Potatoes, not kidding. They are french fries drizzled in chocolate. No thanks.
- If you liked the movie 'Neighbors' with Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, get ready for 'Neighbors 2' with this trailer.
- If you have ever wondered if every contestant on Jeopardy ended up with $0 what would happen... well, it did happen recently and it was a three way loss.
- If your skin crawls when you see a creepy crawly in your home, you may not want to read this. A new study delves into the kinds of creepy crawlies you may be living with and not even know it.
- Ever wondered if Spider-Man could really scale the sides of buildings in real life? Me neither, but some scientists in England decided to take it to task.