To say that Skal Labissiere is struggling to adjust to the college game is a ginormous understatement, you may as well say that the Christmas weather in Kentucky was just a bit lacking in the snow department. However, one 'anonymous' NBA scout let loose on Skal after the Louisville game.
"Big Skal, no strength, no toughness, no game," the scout said. "Comes off the bench, plays 10 minutes, had 2 points, 3 rebounds, 0-for-3 from the floor. Shot an air ball on an easy hook.
"That guy is what you call a 'Paper Tiger,' a mock draft myth. He's a f***in' fantasy, that guy."
Told that DraftExpress.com had Labissiere projected as the No. 5 pick in the draft after he was once at No. 1, the scout said: "No. 5, he's not No. 1, he's not No. 5, he's not No. 51. That's a joke.
"He's not going to play anymore for Kentucky, I don't think. There's nothing he could do. The Louisville big men are mediocre at best. Truth be told, they're below mediocre. He couldn't do nothing with them. He's a fraud. The thing is going the other way fast."
He added: "You gotta see kids play against big-time college athletes and then you can make some kind of assessment. ...This is Rupp Arena, sold out, this is religious tribal warfare. It's one of the great rivalries in college basketball and if the kid didn't have a big name, he wouldn't even have played because he didn't deserve to play. That's my opinion."
While the information contained in the rant is accurate, to a point, the manner in which this anonymous tough guy went about the assessment is akin to a bully. To see a kid that wants to win, is a good kid, and is just in over his head is tough to watch. You want so badly for the guy to succeed, and to see someone take a shot at the kid behind the veil of anonymity is just cowardly.
Coach Calipari agrees, and took to social media to make an indirect statement about it.
TWEET(S) OF THE WEEKEND
@_KeithGarrett It's doesn't matter where it happens Rupp, NY, Nashville, Atlanta, LA wherever the chant of Go Big Blue will always = home— Scott (@UKBleedingBlue) December 27, 2015
Ole Miss game should be Get Behind Skal Night at Rupp. Time for #BBN to pick this kid up.— Jeff Drummond (@JDrumUK) December 28, 2015
YOUR WILDCAT QUICKIES
- Three Star Defensive Tackle Kobe Smith has reportedly de-committed from Kentucky. Smith was a big get for the UK staff and he was about to enroll early at UK as well. Early indications are that South Carolina may be his new destination. There is also a possible interesting angle to this:
@FredMaggard he was supposed to sign paperwork for early enrollment and staff told him not too. Food for thought.— jaredbonshire (@jaredbonshire) December 28, 2015
- Unless you did not watch UK-UL and live under a rock, the sports world is basically Zaprudering the film of Rick PItino flipping the UK crowd the bird following the game Saturday. I was walking into the tunnel about 10-15 feet behind Rick and it happened. The fact that Pitino acknowledged a gesture happened, but said it was him saying they were #1, is a clear admission without actually saying it.
- An awesome part of the game was the Rupp Arena atmosphere, the fans brought it from the tip through the final buzzer and it was awesome. I used a decibel meter app on my phone to measure the loudness, the noise level hovered around 100 during normal parts of the game and shot to 115-120 during big moments. I also took this short video of the Go Big Blue chant combined with the 10-second call and Pitino going crazy.
- Former UK Backup Quarterback Reese Phillips opened up about why he left UK and said that if Shannon Dawson was still at UK, he would be too. He also criticized Coach Stoops as well. This is 100% my speculation, but I get the feeling that Shannon Dawson was stirring the drama pot all year at UK. Probably undermining Stoops to his guys like Towles and Phillips.
- Marlana VanHoose rocked Rupp Arena once again by singing the National Anthem. I think she should just be the permanent Anthem singer for Rupp.
- Coach Calipari earned his 200th win at UK with the victory Saturday, this made him the quickest UK coach to 200 in history. The University unveiled a great video honoring him.
- Our own WIll Marshal went deep into the potential hire of Offensive Coordinator Eddie Gran.
- Undefeated #7 UK Hoops will be taking on Tennessee State tonight for their final tuneup before conference play starts.
YOUR NON-UK QUICKIES
- The sports story seemingly rocking the nation right now is the accusation that Peyton Manning was involved in an HGH purchase illegally. The report came from Al Jazeera, and Manning was very adamant about the lack of any truth to the story. Personally, I believe Manning, I think it is an attention grab.
- Lane Kiffin is staying at Alabama, for now, but he has made it clear that a head coaching gig is in his future.
- St. Louis Rams punter Johnny Hekker took a mild cheap shot at a Seahawks player after a punt, then he cowered like a frightened turtle when it was time to pay for his cheap shot, lol.
- The Philadelphia 76ers are now 1-29 this season, this is now an NBA record and an amazing one. How a franchise can collect professional players and be 1-29 is amazingly terrible. It is bordering on tanking, in my opinion.
- One of the cool experiences for Football players during bowl week is the swag they get. LSU got some things better than most when they received some custom KD8 shoes.
Custom KD 8 for the players pic.twitter.com/ix0QulDuJE— LSU Football Equip (@LSUFBEquipment) December 23, 2015
- Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer lost a bet and had to wear a hula dress and coconut bra while running on the field, watch at your own risk!
- The Carolina Panthers bid for perfection ended yesterday at the hand of the Atlanta Falcons. It will be interesting to see if the Panthers become more and more vulnerable with the armor pierced or if they pick themselves up and get back to work.
- Former Wildcat Za'Darius Smith got his 5th sack of the season yesterday, FIRST ROUNDER Vic Beasley only has 4 sacks.
- The Chiefs Andy Reid decided to do a little dabbing after the game, yikes.
- The Patriots went to overtime vs. the Jets yesterday, they then won the coin toss, and decided .... to kickoff. Of course they ended up losing, and the Jets twitter account won the day:
Agreed. https://t.co/LVQVwVZlsL— New York Jets (@nyjets) December 27, 2015
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- FedEx completely crapped the bed in their Christmas deliveries. Many packages slated to be delivered before Christmas still have not arrived and they are getting killed for it.
- She may be a Louisville fan, but I enjoy her work and she is not hard to look at, add in that she decided to visit a Kentucky Children's hospital to spread joy and it is official, we have to like her.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has hit $1 BILLION in earnings in just 12 days, a record, of course. This movie is going to generate an absurd amount of revenue, and it has not even released in China yet.
- The movie 'Concussion' is a fantastic flick, I highly recommend it. Sony has decided to allow all NFL Players and Owners free admission in an effort to raise awareness.
- A county outside of Washington D.C. has effectively ended Veteran homelessness altogether. Check out how they did it here.
- The United States is the land of excess, and Christmas lighting is a shining example of it. There are countries in the world in 2015, that burn less power in a YEAR, than America does in its seasonal lights.
- We have seen guys like Devin Booker parading around on one of those hoverboards, they make it look so easy, well apparently it is not. As the toy has become a hot Christmas gift, so have the videos of people just eating it from lack of balance.
- Give Steve Harvey credit, he is owning his mistake in the Miss Universe pageant, he sent out a 'Merry Easter Y'all' on social media on Christmas.
- Check out some of the best photos of they year from Instagram.
- According to IMDB, these are the best new shows of 2015.