For the Football portion of Big Blue Nation, today is likely to be a day of change. The recruiting dead period is over and if there are going to be changes made on the staff, they will likely be happening today or very soon after.
Coach Stoops will be going on KSR tomorrow to give what is assumed to be a quasi-state of the union address for UK Football. He laid the foundation in article by the Lexington Herald Leader's Jen Smith that you can read here.
"I absolutely, firmly know that we can build a winner here and that we will and that our time will come," Stoops said in a sit-down interview with the Herald-Leader and the Courier-Journal of Louisville on Tuesday.
"Nobody is more pissed off when you see bad football on the field than me. I know very clearly what good football looks like. I've seen it up close and personal for a long time. We're going to get that done here."
"What, we're going to stop now? That's my plea: Let's continue to push forward. I understand our frustration. I accept the responsibility that I have to do things better. We will."
Mark Stoops refuses to rule out staff changes in interview with the Herald...that means there will be staff changes— Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio) December 15, 2015
On his show Matt has also alluded to the fact that it has been a tumultuous time at Nutter Field House since Sunday (regarding staff issues) and he expects some shakeup so I think today will be an interesting day for BBN. I imagine we will have a good idea of things after Stoops' interview as well.
TWEET(S) OF THE DAY
Mark Emmert hates the Monmouth bench more than Kim Davis hates homosexuals.— Kel (@bluekel) December 16, 2015
Wikipedia asking for donations... Might have to do it. Wouldn't have gotten thru high school without it. Definitely not duke #Loyalty— Justise Winslow (@IAmJustise) December 14, 2015
Tyler Hansbrough looks like he's constantly haunted by ghosts no one else sees. pic.twitter.com/74nfPaIH47— What He Looks Like (@WhatHeLooksLike) October 25, 2015
YOUR UK QUICKIES
- Randall Cobb got a spot on the season finale of ESPN's E:60. They discussed his growing up in small town Alcoa, TN and beating the odds to become a $10 Million/year man in the NFL. I highly recommend you check it out below, it's worth every second of the 19 minutes. If your eyes do not at least well up a little I will have to question your heart.
- Seniors Josh Forrest and Cory Johnson have accepted invitations for post season senior bowls. Forrest is heading to the Reese's Senior Bowl and C.J. Johnson is heading to the East-West Shrine Bowl. Johnson was also named to the All-SEC second team by the Associated Press.
- Jamal Murray has been tabbed the SEC Freshman of the week. Murray averaged 17 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists in two wins for UK over EKU and Arizona State.
- The UK Hoops team was not to be outdone though, Makayla Epps was the SEC Player of the week for her play. Epps is averaging 17 points per game and 6.4 assists per game (good for 10th in America).
- Andrew Cassady at KSR decided to pay homage to the opening of a little movie called Star Wars by cross referencing Star Wars characters with Wildcats
- Yesterday morning, Coach Cal went onto a Boston radio show and inevitably the hosts brought up the Marcus Camby situation. The hosts decided to go on the offensive about it and claim Cal "was not doing things right" at UMASS. The interview ended abruptly after that, and I applaud Cal for his response asking if he knew about it.
"No. We didn't know anything. And what we did was everything ahead of schedule and we were on top of everything we did and again, they said we didn't know nor should have known," Cal said. "Here's what I'll say to you. That kid, you know what he ends up doing in the end? He ends up paying the money back the school lost. It was about $150,000 and he paid the money back. It's never been done before.We were the ones who got Marcus Camby to talk-he was in the NBA, he doesn't need to talk to the NCAA. There were other players at other schools involved, they wouldn't talk to the NCAA. We got our guy to talk to the NCAA. And he paid the money back. I'm not embarrassed by anything we've done. I'm proud of what we've done."
YOUR NON-UK QUICKIES
- Wisconsin Coach Bo Ryan has decided to retire, effective IMMEDIATELY. Greg Gard will take over as interim coach until a replacement is named. Ryan had initially decided he would step down after this season but a change of heart and likely a 7-5 start, have aided in moving that timeline up very Spurrier-esque
- You may have heard about former Ole Miss Rebel Robert Nkemdiche 'falling' from a hotel and injuring himself. What you may not have read is that according to Fox Sports, they are saying he was basically tripping on synthetic marijuana. The 'Fake Week' made him become paranoid someone was chasing him when he busted through his hotel glass door running from the person.
- Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger thinks the Bengals Vontaze Burfict tried to hurt him intentionally this past weekend.
- Two Missouri legislators are proposing that athletes scholarships be revoked if they go on strike.
- Cam Newton has a custom made Santa sweater complete with the Santa doing his signature Dab Dance
Cam Newton is wearing a red dabbin Santa sweater with a red fox tail as he goes around town surprising kids pic.twitter.com/WXeCOOsK3H— Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) December 15, 2015
- Folks out on the left coast are none too pleased that Stanford's Christian McCaffrey did not win the Heisman Trophy Award.
- Peyton Manning is returning to practice, but Brock Osweiler will remain the starter... for now. Personally, I would love to see Peyton have one last great game, and walk off a winner a la Babe Ruth's final game when he hit three Homeruns.
- What if the CFB Playoff was an 8-team affair? it is inevitable that the field will eventually expand. Here is what it would look like if it were 8 teams this year.
- The Monmouth Basketball bench did one of their unique celebrations and it was great per usual. They reenacted Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, lol.
- Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema decided to load up his entire offensive line and drive them over to Line Coach Sam Pittman's house to confront him about leaving Arkansas and try to get him to stay. Bielema claims Pittman was refusing to address the players, but Pittman refutes it saying he had a 10:30 AM scheduled the next day.
- Serena Williams was named the Sportsperson of the year. People are debating the merit of her getting the award, but what cannot be debated is the bad-assery of the cover for it.
- Seton Hall's Braeden Anderson not only shoots jump shots for the basketball team, he also is a first year Law student at the University.
- Trevor Ariza lost his shoe during the game and Wil Barton decided to pick up his shoe and toss it into the stands. Barton was hit with a technical, of course. Kinda funny nonetheless.
- Speaking of Wil Barton, he threw down an absolutely nasty, filthy, rim rocking dunk recently.
YOUR RANDOM QUICKIES
- If you are on Twitter, there is some absolute golden comedy on there. You do not have to look far to see some pretty funny grammatical miscues. Just do a search for 'quarter roy pants' and thank me later.
- The University of Kentucky will be receiving a gift of $8 Million from the Papa himself. Papa Johns founder John Schnatter will be donating the money to the school in order to go toward the Study of Free Enterprise at the Gatton College of Business.
- The Republican candidate debate was tonight, and the Jeb Bush watch party in Miami... well, it did not turn out so well.
- This CNN Columnist went off the rails on his comparison of Donald Trump to a 'Hot Girl that puts out.' It is the first 30 seconds of the video, just watch and laugh, or feel awkward... or both.
- Speaking of awkward, this poor dude got put on kiss cam at the Spurs game and they stayed on them for a full minute. The whole time she is terribly embarrassed and even rejects his kiss at the :30 second mark. I have to say that if you look up "Friend Zone" in the dictionary, that is it.
- Harlan's own Jordan Smith won The Voice last night. He has an amazing voice and is a member of Big Blue Nation to boot.
- Here is a fun hypothetical, you are walking to Rupp and your ticket slips out of your hand into a sewer... what do you do? This Packers fan did not hesitate to jump down in the sewer and get down and dirty to get his ticket back.
- If you like Tosh.0, you should check out Ridiculousness on MTV. It is everything that Tosh should be, more videos, more funny videos, and less Daniel Tosh trying to be the center of the stage
- Another show that I am hooked on right now is 'Adam Ruins Everything.' It is a very informative show and really breaks down real life myths and puts it into layman's terms. For instance, the voting process is basically a sham, Vitamin supplements are worthless, Halitosis is a money making myth, and you probably shower way too much.
- A lot of bourbon guys are adamant that you should drink it neat, and ice is sacrilegious. However, using ice is actually essential to a great experience, it cuts the burn, but it also opens up the flavor. Here are my guys at Knob Creek (My Favorite Bourbon) discussing it.