According to everyone covering the team, the players held a players only meeting that was arranged by Josh Forrest and Patrick Towles.
DAWSON: "(Player only meetings) are a good thing. There are times when all of us - including myself - need to be set straight."— Kentucky Football (@UKFootball) November 3, 2015
Player only meetings seem to yield little result on the field, but the goal of this meeting was to get everyone on the same page. According to Towles some people just were not on the same page as others.
Mikel Horton said Patrick Towles and Josh Forrest called a players only meeting. Said some people were on the same page, others weren't.— Derek Terry (@DTerryRivals) November 3, 2015
Purely my opinion, and it is worth what you paid to get it, but my guess is that some players were perpetuating the negativity of the "here we go again" mentality. There were probably players being openly critical of coaches and playing time while pointing fingers at players not performing.
All of this will likely mean nothing on the field, do not expect us to come out and all of a sudden become a juggernaut. What it will likely mean is we avoid a death spiral. Negativity is a cancerous wildfire and must be stomped out immediately in any organization or team. Kudos to the offensive and defensive leaders stepping up and being proactive with it.
TWEET(S) OF THE NIGHT
Six of the NBA's Top 20 scorers are former Cats. Davis (7th), Bledsoe (8th), Wall & Cousins (tie 13th), Towns (tie 18), Knight (tie 20).— Justin Rowland (@RowlandRIVALS) November 3, 2015
Anthony Davis currently 1 of 3 players to be averaging 20 pts/10 rbs...Joins DeMarcus Cousins, Karl-Anthony Towns - all @KentuckyMBB alums— Pelicans PR (@PelicansPR) November 2, 2015
- My chat with the guys at ESPN Radio Lexington last night, we discussed my 'Bent, but Not Broken' article, how your mouth tastes after vomiting, UK Basketball and more, fun time.
- Landon Foster has been named a Wuerffel trophy semi-finalist. Foster is one of eight semi-finalists, the Wuerffel trophy is given to the nation's top community servant. He may be struggling on the field, but off the field Foster is amazing in this regard and well deserving.
- The UK Women's basketball team is ranked in the top 20 in both major polls. On a frustrating note, another player is leaving the program. Freshman Morgan Rich has asked for her release from the University to transfer. This is the third in as many weeks for Matthew Mitchell's program.
- The #12 Men's Soccer team beat Detroit 4-0 last night to improve to 11-3-2 with one game remaining.
- ESPN.com staffers got together to rank the top 100 players in all of College Basketball this season. Our Wildcats had six of those 100 spots occupied.
- The UK-New Jersey Institute of Technology basketball game next Saturday has been moved to 8:00 to accommodate the UK-Vandy Football game at 4:00.
- Kentucky Sports TV absolutely blows it away every time they put together a production. They put together a slo-mo video of the win over Ottawa that is just simply put, Cool.
- How fun is this team going to be to watch? It is hard to believe we are coming off a season where we were two wins from 40-0 but it is a stone cold lock we are going to have more fun watching this team that will likely lose 3-5 games. I plan to write a longer take on this sometime this week, but I am honestly looking forward to this season more than last.
NON-UK SPORTS QUICKIES
- The College Football Playoff committee has released their first top 10 rankings of teams in the playoff hunt. The debate is already hot and heavy on the hits and misses, it seems like just yesterday we only had two teams eligible decided largely by computer, ha. Clemson is your #1 team and would be facing #4 Alabama, while #2 LSU would play #3 Ohio State. Somewhere Danny Kanell is in the fetal position crying.
- The NFL has FOUR undefeated teams at 7-0 after this week, this is a first in league history. The Carolina Panthers, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, and the Who Dey! Cincinnati Bengals are the teams eyeing the '72 Dolphins. ESPN picked the fatal flaw of each team in this article. I think the Patriots, unfortunately, have the best chance of doing it.
- Colin Kaepernick has been benched, amazing how just recently he was dubbed the next great 49er Quarterback. Remember this Gem?
Aug 2013, Ron Jaworski says Colin Kaepernick could be "one of the greatest quarterbacks ever." So what went wrong?— Art Spander (@artspander) November 3, 2015
- Kudos to the Kansas City Royals for their World Series championship. I love they way they built their team around youth and not trying to buy a title. Love it even more for the Royals fans, clearly a fan base in dire need of it after last year's oh so close loss.
- Not sure how much credibility I put in Master P, but he claims that his son, Lil Romeo, was attending a Michael Jordan Camp and Jordan called him out of not wearing Jordan Shoes. Supposedly Lil Romeo called pops and he flew in the next day, challenged MJ to a pick up game, and then Master P with Gilbert Arenas and Ron Artest took down Jordan and his group of NBA'ers.
- Dusty Baker has been hired by the Washington Nationals, the former Reds manager is back in the game and as a Reds fan, I hate that he is not with us anymore. The Reds should not have ever let him go, in my opinion.
- if you are on Twitter, you have likely noticed that the favorite button is no longer an option, it has turned into a heart, like option. Here is one man's explanation of why it had to happen.
- Leonard Fournette's jersey will be on the auction block this weekend to benefit those victims of the South Carolina floods.
- IF you would like topurchase Nebraska coach Mike Riley, apparently he is for sale on Craigslist.
- I have read this before, but apparently ESPN has gotten involved and is running an E:60 on field turf causing cancer in those that spend a lot of time on it, specifically soccer goalies. I can speak from playing on field turf in rec leagues, those rubber pieces get EVERYWHERE, including in your mouth and cuts.
- Ex-Louisville player Kyle Kuric is going to undergo surgery to remove a brain tumor. Best wishes and prayers to Kyle as he undergoes this procedure.
- Finally, a man in Iowa thought it would be a great idea to eat Toilet Paper to avoid a DUI. I guess he thought the paper would filter the alcohol on his breathalyzer, oops.