John Calipari brought Tyler Ulis and Marcus Lee along with him to SEC media day on Wednesday. There were some interesting nuggets, so let's get right to it:
- Is it just me or does Cal seem a little less confident here about Skal Labisierre than in the past couple of weeks? Maybe I'm paranoid but it's the "We'll see" that gets me. Game time is getting closer.
- Cal put in Jamal Murray, Isaiah Briscoe, and Tyler Ulis in at the same time and ran the dribble-drive. And he LOVED it. I know we have heard this before, but this really may be the team that Cal goes back to his traditional dribble-drive system.
- The Wildcats are picked to win the SEC this season. Maybe surprisingly, Vanderbilt was picked to finish second. I would have thought that would have gone to the LSU Tigers with all of that talent, but the Commodores are a sleeper in the conference.
- LSU's Ben Simmons was picked as preseason player of the year. I think a couple of Kentucky guys will have something to say about that.
- Of course the Louisville scandal was brought up to the coaches. Texas A&M's Andy Kennedy took the stance that coaches can't know about everything while Calipari took the stance of coaches have to be held accountable for whatever happens under their watch. Cal is speaking from experience on this one.
- LSU and Mississippi State are blending veterans with super talented freshmen.
How much???— DeMarcus Cousins (@boogiecousins) October 21, 2015
No other coach, player, or trainer knew anything about any of this, especially not me. Obviously something happened in that dorm, from what people are saying on ESPN, the strippers who danced at two dozen parties over four years, and the five players who would talk to ESPN only anonymously for fear of reprisals from the Louisville family. I am dedicated to finding the whole truth of the matter. Which is why I texted my nephew, who used to live in the dorm, the one I named after his father. He said, "I never saw a thing."
Hear @T_Rozzay3 address the scandal brewing at @GoCards. #Celticstalk pic.twitter.com/3P1MxlFyIU— A. Sherrod Blakely (@SherrodbCSN) October 21, 2015
Katina Powell and her daughters on The View on Friday. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.— Bob Ballin (@brow_down) October 22, 2015