Today is another one filled with quality content. Glenn has a post examining Sports Illustrated's claim that Tyler Ullis will be the SEC Freshman of the Year. Jonathon takes a deep dive into which player on Kentucky's basketball team is the true MVP. Finally, we'll have a game thread up and running around 4:30pm EST for the baseball team's game against Alabama which starts 30 minutes later. Check back early and often.
To your quickies...
Tweet Of The Morning
At the end of the regular season, #UKbaseball LHP/1B @ajreed18UK had more homers (23) than 192 TEAMS in the nation.— Kentucky Baseball (@UKBaseball) May 20, 2014
AJ Reed is the man. He's also trying to become only the second player to claim the SEC Triple Crown. Rafael Palmeiro was the first. UK fans should appreciate him before he goes on to bigger and better things.
- Mister Cobble has been cut by the Denver Broncos. Hopefully he stays in shape, keeps working, and gets another shot with a new team in a few months.
- SEC teams have their non-division opponent named through 2025. Alas, UK won't play at Ole Miss until 2022. Society, and presumably my future family, will deem me too old to tailgate on those hallow grounds by that point in my life.
- Rivals is updating their football rankings all week. Yesterday they unveiled the new Top 100. Notice UK target Damien Harris is sitting at #4. Also, #12 Daron Payne visited Lexington this spring, but with no buzz surrounding him lately it's probably safe to assume he's a long shot.
- Barriers Stoops must clear.
- KSR points out that former UK players don't have to graduate to get their jerseys retired. That seems appropriate in the new age of college basketball.
- SI names Calipari one of the most disliked people in sports. You can probably guess why. The reasons haven't changed. Donald Sterling being on the list invalidates the entire exercise in my mind. If it wants to be taking seriously, you wouldn't be equating Sterling with the vast majority of the "honorees". Except maybe Sepp Blatter.
- Former Billy Clyde Gillespie commit KC Ross-Miller is transferring to Bruce Pearl's Auburn team. I think this is the 9th team he's played for.
- AJ Reed the unanimous choice by coaches for the SEC Player of the Year.
- Team Speed Kills previews the SEC tournament, and highlights what each school is playing for.
- AJ Reed added another honor and was named the SEC Pitcher of the Week.
Other Sport News
- The Spurs take Game One. OKC is hurting without Serge Ibaka.
- Kevin Ollie resigns with UCONN for $3 million a year. He can coach but now let's see him coach a team comprised solely of his own recruits.
- The official effort to kick Sterling out of the NBA has begun. What do you think is the over/under for how long it takes "Law & Order" to make a episode based on this affair? 2.5 years?
- Nasal Strip Gate. And Down The Stretch They Come has further analysis.
- The NBA Combine winners and losers.
- Lou Holtz announces his retirement from ESPN. May he live long and play lots of golf. At the same time, I'm fine with the news. Holtz and Mark Mays' shtick has become unbearable for me the last few years, and I say that has a college football degenerate.
- No Kevin Love deal prior to the draft. Sounds like someone is seeking leverage in negotiations. Pretty obvious if a team that wins a a top five pick in a stacked draft is looking to trade for Love, who says he won't resign with Minnesota next year, the Timberwolves know what they have to do.
- Extreme flooding in the Balkans is unearthing thousands of land mines.
- For the sake of the "cool" factor, I'm going to assume this isn't Photoshop'ed.
- A great way to announce you're pregnant.
- The 9/11 Museum has opened in NYC, and it has a gift shop. Look I get it; this isn't an unique arrangement. There is one at The Anne Franke House, Auschwitz, Pearl Harbor, OKC Memorial, and yes, even The Holocaust Museum. Nonetheless, it's a bit disappointing to see trauma slowly overtaken by commerce. Museums have a way of showing us who we are, and not only through their displays.
So on that bright note, have a great day! Go Cats!