The Washington Wizards are whispering sweet somethings into the ear of John Wall, to the tune of $80 million through 2019.
Tweet of the Morning:
- Drew Barker has updated his diary and it is a MUST read - real insider information and not speculation. [Hank]
- The Louisville Courier-Journal's Kyle Tucker examines UK's NCAA self-reported violations over the past year and found nothing major. Just my opinion, but I think the 2011 and 2012 seasons shoulda been reported as major violations because they were so offensive to the UK fan base. [Hank]
Kentucky needs to recruit the state of Ohio? Where has this guy been for the last six months? Last time I looked, we had eight 2014 commitments from Ohio, more than from any other state by far.
[Glenn] I note the basketball violations were unbelievably Byzantine in their technicality.
Here's a good weekly update on football recruiting. [Hank]
- Hold on to your lug nuts, it's time for an overhaul!
- UK Women's Football Clinic sold out.
- UK single-game football tickets go on sale August 7th.
Mark Stoops plays Yahtzee? Well, duh.
I don't blame Stoops for preferring the Governor's Cup to be one or two games removed from the season opener. The curious thing is why Louisville thinks otherwise. Most SEC teams with rivalry games, like Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina play them near the end of the year.
This speaks for itself - Davis and Wall dominating. [Hank] Via KSR
John Calipari and Rick Pitino are mining Sin City for recruiting gold this week.
- KSR's Brian the Intern examines the comparative popularity of Rick Pitino and John Calipari at Kentucky. I think, honestly, that Calipari is slightly less popular, because he has essentially all the same negatives as Pitino (Yankee, etc.) and he has significantly more controversy in his history. But if he wins another title and keeps up his squeaky-clean performance intact, that could change dramatically with another championship run.
- Andy Glockner reports on the doings in Las Vegas, and UK recruits are mentioned very prominently, particularly Emmanuel Mudiay.
- Justice Winslow cuts his list, but Kentucky remains there, plus more recruiting news from NextCats.
- Dakari Johnson likes "rebounding" and "banging down low." I like hearing that.
- Anthony Davis invents a new basketball move -- cuffing an alley-oop.
Other UK sports
- UKAthletics has more from the athletes on the service trip to Ethiopia.
- Oregon paid nearly a quarter of a million dollars for defense against the NCAA accusations. Based on how they came out, I'd say it was worth the money.
- Football fans, as well as the media, attended SEC Media Days in droves.
- Everyone loves a Cinderella. I must be a born contrarian. I don't care for Cinderellas all that much
- Dawg Sports voting says Georgia's biggest disaster was ... I kid you not ... a basketball faux pas. I wonder if it will hold up, though.
Other sports news
- Huntington Prep is just like Kentucky - reloading every year with top high school prospects.