Changes from last year
- The GOG will run weekly (like in football) for games that occur Friday - Thursday. Questions will cover all games that occur during that time span. Expect the GOG to be posted a day or two before the first game of the week. (So GOG 1 will go up Thursday)
- The women's team will not be involved this year, as I just don't have the time to cover both teams. There still might be an occasional question about the UK Hoops team, but they won't be a regular part of the contest.
A little GOG History
The GOG was originally started at fellow SBN site Athletics Nation for the 2005 baseball season and was run by AN members Alien and Jjjsixsix. The GOG has run on ASoB in each of the last 4 seasons and last year Wild Weasel took home the crown.
So How Do You Play?
This part is very simple. Each week I will post a list of questions for you to predict the answers to. As mentioned above, each contest will cover a week's worth of games. Just come up with your answers and leave them as a comment. There is a deadline for the answers, which will typically be tip-off for the first game of the week. Examples of some of previous GOG's are here and here to give you an idea.
Questions will fall under 6 general categories and are scored as follows:
- Questions with 2 choices: These are worth +1 point for a correct answer or -1 point for an incorrect answer.
- Open ended questions: These have a variety of possible answers and are worth between 3 and 5 points for a correct answer, with no penalty for a wrong answer. The point value varies depending on the difficulty of the question.
- Guess a point total question: This question is typically about guessing both UK's and the opponents respective points scored for the game. Because there is such a wide range of possibilities, answers are graded on a sliding scale. The scale is
Within 0 or 1: 4 points
Within 2 or 3: 3 points
Within 4 or 5: 2 points
Within 6 or 7: 1 point
- Predict a stat line: I will ask you to predict the totals for a player in three areas such as Points / Rebounds / Assists. Each correct answer is worth 3 points and an answer within two of the correct value is worth 1 point.
- Put a list in order: This will be a question where your answer is an ordered list of some kind. Correctly picking an element of the list is worth 1 point while correctly placing their location is worth an additional point. For example, say the question is "List the top 3 rebounders from most yards to least boards" and the answer is Randle/WCS/Hood. If your answer was Randle/Young/WCS you would score 2 points for correctly choosing Randle 1st and 1 point for choosing WCS for 3 points total.
- Choose an option from a list: I will give you a list of options to choose an answer from. Often different options will have different point values depending on how likely they are to happen. Outcomes which are possible but less likely are worth more points.
After each game, I will tally up and post the scores and keep track of both total points and average points for the entire season (40% of GOGs played are needed to qualify for Scoring Average Title at the end of the season). I encourage everyone to play the entire season, but don't fret if you miss a GOG, just play the next time!
A word about clarity: I try as much as possible to write the questions in such a way so that it is clear what I am asking for. If you need a clarification though, just mention it in your entry and I'll respond as soon as I see it.
- Men's Schedule
- Men's Statsheet page
- Jon Scott's incomparable UK site
- A primer on tempo free stats as well as some other definitions
GOG 2013-14 #00: Preseason Predictions [Max 67 Points]
Deadline is tip off of the UNC Asheville Game on November
- Does UK win the National Title? [+/- 1 point] No
- How many games does UK win? [4/3/2/1 point] 29
- What is UK's highest point total in a non-conference game? [4/3/2/1 point] 105
- What is UK's highest margin of victory in a conference game? [4/3/2/1 point] 25
- Close calls: how many games are decided in overtime or by 3 points or less? [4 points; 2 points if within three; 1 point if within five] 7
- How many games does UK score 100 or more points? [3 points] 1
- How many players start at least 1 game? [4 points; 2 points if within two] 9
- List UK's top three scorers (ppg) in order from highest to lowest. [1 point for correction player; 1 point for correct placement] Randle, Young, Aaron Harrison
- How many of UK's opponents make the NCAA Tournament? [5 points; 3 points if within one; 1 point if within three] 7
- Which UK freshman finishes the season with the highest Offensive Rating? [4 points; 2 points if second] Marcus Lee (Aaron Harrison 2nd)
- Cal said it, I'll ask it: How many Cats score 25 or more points in a game? [5 points; 3 points if within one; 1 point if within two] 4
- Does a Cat record a triple-double? [+/- 1 point] no
- Predict James Young's season highs in Made Field Goals / Free Throw Attempts / Made 3pt FG. [3 points each; 1 point if within two] 9 / 10 / 5
- Predict Jarrod Polson's season highs in Minutes Played / Points / Assists. [3 points each; 1 point if within two] 30 / 6 / 2
- How many players declare for the NBA draft after the season? [4 points; 2 points if within two] 2. I don't think anyone is upset about overshooting this one.