Changes from last year
- The GOG will run weekly (like in football) for games that occur Friday - Thursday. Questions will cover all games that occur during that time span. Expect the GOG to be posted a day or two before the first game of the week. (So GOG 1 will go up Thursday)
- The women's team will not be involved this year, as I just don't have the time to cover both teams. There still might be an occasional question about the UK Hoops team, but they won't be a regular part of the contest.
A little GOG History
The GOG was originally started at fellow SBN site Athletics Nation for the 2005 baseball season and was run by AN members Alien and Jjjsixsix. The GOG has run on ASoB in each of the last 4 seasons and last year Wild Weasel took home the crown.
So How Do You Play?
This part is very simple. Each week I will post a list of questions for you to predict the answers to. As mentioned above, each contest will cover a week's worth of games. Just come up with your answers and leave them as a comment. There is a deadline for the answers, which will typically be tip-off for the first game of the week. Examples of some of previous GOG's are here and here to give you an idea.
Questions will fall under 6 general categories and are scored as follows:
- Men's Schedule
- Men's Statsheet page
- Jon Scott's incomparable UK site
- A primer on tempo free stats as well as some other definitions
GOG 2013-14 #00: Preseason Predictions [Max 67 Points]
Deadline is tip off of the UNC Asheville Game on November
- Does UK win the National Title? [+/- 1 point] No
- How many games does UK win? [4/3/2/1 point] 29
- What is UK's highest point total in a non-conference game? [4/3/2/1 point] 105
- What is UK's highest margin of victory in a conference game? [4/3/2/1 point] 25
- Close calls: how many games are decided in overtime or by 3 points or less? [4 points; 2 points if within three; 1 point if within five] 7
- How many games does UK score 100 or more points? [3 points] 1
- How many players start at least 1 game? [4 points; 2 points if within two] 9
- List UK's top three scorers (ppg) in order from highest to lowest. [1 point for correction player; 1 point for correct placement] Randle, Young, Aaron Harrison
- How many of UK's opponents make the NCAA Tournament? [5 points; 3 points if within one; 1 point if within three] 7
- Which UK freshman finishes the season with the highest Offensive Rating? [4 points; 2 points if second] Marcus Lee (Aaron Harrison 2nd)
- Cal said it, I'll ask it: How many Cats score 25 or more points in a game? [5 points; 3 points if within one; 1 point if within two] 4
- Does a Cat record a triple-double? [+/- 1 point] no
- Predict James Young's season highs in Made Field Goals / Free Throw Attempts / Made 3pt FG. [3 points each; 1 point if within two] 9 / 10 / 5
- Predict Jarrod Polson's season highs in Minutes Played / Points / Assists. [3 points each; 1 point if within two] 30 / 6 / 2
- How many players declare for the NBA draft after the season? [4 points; 2 points if within two] 2. I don't think anyone is upset about overshooting this one.