Today, Ken Pomeroy shoots down a recent meme going around the sports blogosphere that you can tell a team will lose early if they have a poor road record. Ken's argument is very persuasive on this point, but he accurately (in my view) points out that nobody should be buying Kentucky stock as a Final Four participant.
Now, for the rest of today's links:
Kentucky rolls on, picks up rare road win - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN
When Liggins wasn’t draped all over Hopson or hounding his every shot, he was in Hopson’s mug reminding him that he was going to be there all day.
You might not believe this, but I read this sentence at least six times. I love reading it.
John Clay: Cats starting to reflect Calipari's fighting style :: Lexington Herald-Leader
He's the street kid who will punch you in the nose if you say something bad about his mother. He's the school-yard guy who will wrestle you in a mud puddle for loose change. He's the man who will argue with you and argue with you and flat wear you down until you see his side. He'll fight you until the last dog dies.
I'm glad he was able to pass a little of that on against the Vols.
- Tennessee Allows Kentucky To Find Itself In Knoxville, 64-58 :: Rocky Top Talk
- Video: Former Cat Tayshaun Prince drives middle for the monster one-handed jam
- UK Gets Road Redemption in Win Over Tennessee
- Kentucky Wins Tough Road Game Against Vols...
- Cats Cruise Past Mississippi State, Win 6-1
Rick Bozich : No rest, but no worries with Kentucky's Brandon Knight :: The Courier-Journal
Knight is not going to deliver the spectacular plays or steals that John Wall delivered last season. But he's more dependable from the perimeter, a 40.6 percent three-point shooter. He's already made 71 threes, nearly double Wall's full-season total of 37 a year ago.
Brandon Knight gives Kentucky something more important than "spectacular" -- consistency.
- Scout.com: Williams walking on at Kentucky
- Erik Daniels Will Rejoin the Erie BayHawks
Players don't read Calipari's media comments :: Vaught's Views
Heh. You know they read the Internet. I don't even read newspapers anymore.
- Terrence Jones Named Third Team All-American by Yahoo! Sports
SEC Tournament Week :: Chris Diggs :: UK Fan Blog
Kentucky on the other hand was given a gift with the draw. They would match up with either South Carolina or Ole Miss, both teams they can beat on a neutral court, and then either Auburn, Georgia or Alabama. For a Kentucky fan, you have to hope Kentucky gets Ole Miss and Alabama with a chance at redemption for losses earlier in the year.
You have to be tickled with how this works out for UK. Now, if we can just avoid looking our gift horse in the mouth ...
Updates on UK recruits :: Jody Demling - Recruiting
Louisville, Kentucky Sports blogs for The Courier-Journal
Kentucky Sports Radio :: BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: 3 seed, What needs to happen
Nice analysis here.
- Limited SEC Tournament tickets on sale this morning :: John Clay’s Sidelines
Notes: Liggins sets tone with dunks, defense :: Lexington Herald-Leader
"I let the guys know in no uncertain teams DeAndre was the only guy to show up in the first half," UK Coach John Calipari said after a 64-58 victory over Tennessee. "He was by himself."
Yeah, but boy, he sure was into the game. He chewed Hopson's ear, swarmed him defensively and had two dunks, the most I have ever seen from DeAndre in a game, and both of them had some stank on them.
- Delk hopes coaching opportunity comes soon :: Vaught's Views
CBSSports Projects Kentucky as a No. 4 Seed
I think we have a little more work to do.
- BREAKING NEWS: Pat Knight Out As Coach of Texas Tech Red Raiders - Big 12 Hoops
- Kentucky Wildcats Baseball: Bat Cats Have Rough Weekend in Houston
- David Climer: Tennessee's postseason fate is too close to call :: The Tennessean
Bracketology 2011: Notre Dame Moves To NCAA Tournament Top Line As Duke Falters (Again) - SBNation.com
Kentucky now showing up as a 4 seed a lot.